• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator v10 having performance issues on Windows 10

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Illstrator 10 and have been using the same version for some time. I have a Windows 10 PC. All of a sudden I can't save my files to a PDF. When I try to save it it simply says can't save illustration. I have tried everything. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I tried to paste it into a different file. Nothing works. Anyone out there know what's going on and how to fix it?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned earlier, Adobe Illustrator v10 was never tested on Windows 10. I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version of Adobe Illustrator(https://www.adobe.com/in/products/illustrator.html) for better performance and stability.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 10 is in no way compatible with your system anymore. Looks like some Windows update ruined it for you.

Maybe it's got something to do with a printer, because this gets regularly reset with Windows updates. You could check your printer settings nd reassign your printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any problem using any other part of the program it just won't save a file as a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please check your printer settings anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such a pain that you can't actually buy the software anymore you have to have a subscription I don't use it that much to warrant paying for it as a monthly subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 10 is a great application when using it on an appropriate operating system.

But Illustrator 10 is about 20 years old. Using it on the latest version of OS Windows 10 is a pure adventure that somehow must fail sooner or later. Wonder how you even could manage to install it there at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AngryFreebird,

Can you Print to an application that creates PDFs, such as (a good old) Acrobat (Distiller) or some kind of PDF writer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have distiller or anything where I can print a PDF directly I do have an image port printer that I can print from Illustrator but I'm not crazy about the resolution of it. I like to use my Illustrator files for graphic design like my business cards and brochures and stuff. It's just easier to save it as a PDF with the type turned to paths. I used to be able to save PDFs from Illustrator and I just can't do it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AngryFreebird,

Lacking a non Reader Acrobat version, there are free PDF writers out there,

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=free+pdf+writers&atb=v1-1&ia=web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As mentioned earlier, Adobe Illustrator v10 was never tested on Windows 10. I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version of Adobe Illustrator(https://www.adobe.com/in/products/illustrator.html) for better performance and stability.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know that but my issue is that I haven't been a graphic designer by trade for quite some time I mainly use it to do my own marketing materials for my massage clinic. Since I can't buy a copy of Illustrator and I don't use it every month I really can't justify the cost of $20 a month for a subscription. I really wish I could just buy a copy of the software. Also I understand that Illustrator 10 isn't supported by windows 10 but I've been using it with windows 10 for at least three years and I haven't had any problem with it up till now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 gets updated regularly and those upades can even ruin version CS6.

I totally understand that you don't want to buy a new version, but then don't expect your old version to be running fine on your Windows 10. Get a Windows 95 machine and install Illustrator on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to buy a new version but I can't. You can only get a subscription. I use it so little that I can't justify $20 a month for a subscription.  Unless you know a way to actually buy the software program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't buy it. But you can get an old computer with the old system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a little too much trouble. I would just rather go the way I am going. Creating PDFs outside of the program and see how that works. I don't always use the PDFs for printing. I also use them for the internet or to email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can still save as an Illustrator file, you may want to check the "Create PDF Compatible File" this saves a PDF representation of the document in the Illustrator file.

When saved you can try to rename the .ai extension to .pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can save as an illustrator file I just can't save it as a PDF. But I do have a way of printing it as a PDF to to a program that came with my scanner called PaperPort 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you create that PDF for a printing service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I use online printing services that require CMYK. In addition to being a graphic designer I also was an electronic pre-press operator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably have some more requirements for those PDFs and I doubt that this printer driver can deliver that. You will need to thoroughly check the PDFs before sending them to print. Use Acrobat (pro version) for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AngryFreebird,

It sounds as if all or most of the free PDF writers found in the seach I linked to would be a better choice than your image port printer (the link is repeated below).

There is also a very affordable paid option that may serve your further purposes than viewing and coarse printing for at least one of them, Bullzip.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=free+pdf+writers&atb=v1-1&ia=web

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I have written before, I am frustrated that you can't actually buy the software. You can only get a subscription. I can't justify the cost as I don't use it that much. So far, the only problem I have with Illustrator 10 is I can't save my files as a PDF. I can, however, print it to a PDF thru Paper Port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines