Highlighted

Illustrator Variable data - ignore blank cells in the csv

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking and looking for a solution to have variable printing ignore a blank cell in my file.  I've tried adding a space into the cell, as well as every combination of " ", ' ', " [space] –– no luck.  I am now reading that you shouldn't have blank cells but is there truly no workaround?

To create the csv I'm working in Google Sheets if that matters – I've also edited the file using text editor so I don't believe it should.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator Variable data - ignore blank cells in the csv

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking and looking for a solution to have variable printing ignore a blank cell in my file.  I've tried adding a space into the cell, as well as every combination of " ", ' ', " [space] –– no luck.  I am now reading that you shouldn't have blank cells but is there truly no workaround?

To create the csv I'm working in Google Sheets if that matters – I've also edited the file using text editor so I don't believe it should.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When doing variable data you may need to some cleaning in your data before merging. One option can be to merge the data from several fields to preprocess the data. There is also a script for variable data in illustrator, don't know if that opens a solution. See Adobe Illustrator Variable Data Importer - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the text objects in your template are empty.  Otherwise, they will switch back to the original text when Illustrator encounters an empty field in the data set.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2020 0