Highlighted

Illustrator will not eyedropper color correctly unless in isolation mode

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, Illustrator shapes and outlined type have been behaving very strangely. I'll go to eyedropper a color, and it will change the preview squares in the lefthand menu, but it won't change the actual color of the object. When I go into isolation mode, the preview color changes back to what the color of the object actually is, and only then will I be able to eyedropper a color correctly. I've attached an image below of my workflow so you can see what exaclty is happening, because it's hard to describe.

It does this especially with most commonly with complex shapes, outlined type, or objects that I have used pathfinder / shape builder on. I thought for some reason the objects might be in a clipping mask, but I've checked and they are not. The only way I've found that solves this issue is if I made an object a compound path. For obvious reasons I don't always want to do this, so am looking for an alternative solution or fix. Anyone know how to solve this? I'm running the most up-to-date Illustrator 24.2.3.

TOPICS
Bug, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator will not eyedropper color correctly unless in isolation mode

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, Illustrator shapes and outlined type have been behaving very strangely. I'll go to eyedropper a color, and it will change the preview squares in the lefthand menu, but it won't change the actual color of the object. When I go into isolation mode, the preview color changes back to what the color of the object actually is, and only then will I be able to eyedropper a color correctly. I've attached an image below of my workflow so you can see what exaclty is happening, because it's hard to describe.

It does this especially with most commonly with complex shapes, outlined type, or objects that I have used pathfinder / shape builder on. I thought for some reason the objects might be in a clipping mask, but I've checked and they are not. The only way I've found that solves this issue is if I made an object a compound path. For obvious reasons I don't always want to do this, so am looking for an alternative solution or fix. Anyone know how to solve this? I'm running the most up-to-date Illustrator 24.2.3.

TOPICS
Bug, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to apply a stroke and fill to one path inside a group with the eyedropper?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, currently my eyedropper will ONLY work properly when I enter into isolation mode. Ideally I'd be able to have an entire object or group selected, eyedropper a color/appearance, and have it effect the entire object (the way the eyedropper usually works). Currently I'm forced to enter into isolation mode in order for my eyedropper to work properly at all, which is not ideal. With how the tool is working right now, I'd have to go into isolation mode for every single letter of the object & eyedropper them individually in order to have them all be the same. The example I attached works through how my eyedropper is currently working, not how I'd like it to work. Apologies if I'm not doing a good job at describing, this problem is very confusing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When coloring the stroke or fill of a group, does it help when you press the Shift key while picking up the color with the eyedropper?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift clicking doesn't help, but what does help is whether the object is grouped or not. When it's just a single ungrouped letter, the eyedropper works, but as soon as I group it with another object the problem starts happening. So bizarre!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It's driving me crazy!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on eye dropper in the tool box, de select the Appearance box in both Eyedropper Pick Up: and Eyedropper Applies:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this, but no luck, still the same problem!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try removing all effects etc applied to the object or Path by using - Object/Path/Offset path set to 0 should place in exact location. Then try to color the object. Ive had to do this on some complicated paths before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0
Resources