• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Will Not Save Unit Preferences

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator (25.2.1) will not save any of my preferences for units. Every time I set the units to inches and quit Illustrator, it reverts back to pixels when I open it again. It saves all of the other preferences I've changed besides units.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Once upon a time (to be specific the CS apps time). You could change the unit in the Preferences without having an open document, quit the app, reopen it and the settings were kept.

As far as I can check (CC2017) this does not work any more, the old settings are kept.

Not that it matters much, creating a new doc with a different unit will change the prefs unit setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly when does this setting back happen?

When you open a document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to set it in preferences everytime I start up Illustrator.

If I quit Illustrator and then open it again, it will reset the units back to pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is not related to opening a document, then it might be preferences corruption.

The units are a document based setting and what you set up in the preferences does not affect existing Illustrator documents.

But it should keep the settings in the preferences. You could try and rename the preferences folder. Illustrator will then create new preferences. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once upon a time (to be specific the CS apps time). You could change the unit in the Preferences without having an open document, quit the app, reopen it and the settings were kept.

As far as I can check (CC2017) this does not work any more, the old settings are kept.

Not that it matters much, creating a new doc with a different unit will change the prefs unit setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other parts of the preferences will stick when changed without documents open, but the units won't. So preferences are saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually bring in .DXF or .pdf files as a starting point so I am not creating a new AI document when I use Illustrator to open these. I used to have the Preferences/Units stick in mm but now  I have to set the scale and unit preference each time I open a file. It is important for what I do to keep the scale accurate to the mm level. Is there a way to always open files assuming I want to use mm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Units are a document based setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if the document (DXF, PDF) does not have a setting it uses the current Preferences setting.

But I think for DXF files, the problem is that the plugin does not remember option settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same problem every time I started a new document too, but I think I found the fix. If you notice there is a choice of size documents to open and for some inexplicable reason the "Letter" is set at POINTS in the fine print so I created a new "Letter" size in the box on the right with Inches and saved it. Now when I want a new Letter size file in inches it's right there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines