Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Won't Open Files - Freezes Up

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been having some issues with Ai the last couple of days. The program opens fine, but when I try to create a new document or open an existing file (local and via cloud), the program freezes up - rainbow wheel of death. I have to force quit out.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, older versions, etc. - still no luck. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

I removed all plugins, after uninstalling the 2nd time - I also deleted all saved preferences. I did check my fonts, all good there. I generally use Adobe Fonts, so I'm not actually downloading or adding any fonts to Font Book.

The last time I used Ai was on 4/19 - seemed like it was something that happened quick. I tried older versions of Ai, checked updates that were ran on my iMac, but nothing.

I ended up contacting Adobe Support and they checked it out via remote support. After about 3-4 hour

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a printer connected, set up as the default printer and turned on?

When Illustrator opens a file (creating a new one also opens one in the background), it looks for a printer. If it can't find one, it acts funky. Can you double check the printer? And then check again? Maybe update the printer driver, reset the default printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monika, thank you for the suggestion. I'll take a look - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that didn't work. Still just getting the rainbow wheel of death when I try to open any Illustrator file. Printer drivers updated, set as default, is on and ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Now it's getting complicated.

Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Are all the fonts OK? You can check them using Fontbook.

Are you using a Font manager and is it compatible with Illustrator?

Since this started only recently: do you remember what you did on the computer before it got stuck? Installed anything?

Also: I assume you have rebooted the computer already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed all plugins, after uninstalling the 2nd time - I also deleted all saved preferences. I did check my fonts, all good there. I generally use Adobe Fonts, so I'm not actually downloading or adding any fonts to Font Book.

The last time I used Ai was on 4/19 - seemed like it was something that happened quick. I tried older versions of Ai, checked updates that were ran on my iMac, but nothing.

I ended up contacting Adobe Support and they checked it out via remote support. After about 3-4 hours of them troubleshooting, turns out my user on my iMac is corrupted. I created a new user and everything is working fine.

Again, thanks for responding and providing some suggestions - much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you could get it solved.

User account corruption is certainly one of the worst things that could happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's NOT just happening to you, but many Adobe user have same problem including me. Soooooo up set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing! I had the same issue, ended up creating another user on my macbook. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines