• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image placed into illustrator file automatically converted to CMYK?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I have an ad I designed in Illustrator. I've imported (placed) a photoshop image into the Illustrator file. The Illustrator file is CMYK, but the image was originally RGB. So when I import it... does it automatically get converted to CMYK? Or do I need to convert it before importing it? Just curious.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

When you link it, the image doesn't get converted. When you embed it, it gets converted to the document color space.

You don't need to convert the image before placing it in Illustrator. You can do this when saving the PDF for the printer. Or youcaneven save a PDF/X-4 that still has RGB images in it and let the printer convert it. This depends on their specifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you link it, the image doesn't get converted. When you embed it, it gets converted to the document color space.

You don't need to convert the image before placing it in Illustrator. You can do this when saving the PDF for the printer. Or youcaneven save a PDF/X-4 that still has RGB images in it and let the printer convert it. This depends on their specifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Good to know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines