• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image resize_illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I have created black and white poster in size of 22*28 inches in illustrator. JPEG format, 300 dpi, cmyk .. it's for the printing purpose. 1. Pls confirm that for the black and white printing purpose cmyk s good or rgb? I hope the format which I have created will be in high quality. If not pls suggest. 2. I need to resize the poster into smaller size. Eg. 16*20inches, 8*10 inches. How can I resize without loosing quality. 3. In illustrator if I need to save the image in pdf for the best quality how should I save it.. Thanks, Shabanu

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Shabanu,

Unless you really have to, forget about JPEG, and forget about resolution (apart from Document Raster Effects Settings (in the Effect dropdown)).

Start out with, or switch to, CMYK Document Color Mode (in the File dropdown), and simply Save a Copy as PDF thereby keeping the vector artwork smooth at any zoom/size level.

Resizing can be done with no loss of quality, but you need to scale/resize the artwork uniformly/proportionally to avoid distortion.

16 x 20 and 8 x 10 have the s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shabanu,

Unless you really have to, forget about JPEG, and forget about resolution (apart from Document Raster Effects Settings (in the Effect dropdown)).

Start out with, or switch to, CMYK Document Color Mode (in the File dropdown), and simply Save a Copy as PDF thereby keeping the vector artwork smooth at any zoom/size level.

Resizing can be done with no loss of quality, but you need to scale/resize the artwork uniformly/proportionally to avoid distortion.

16 x 20 and 8 x 10 have the same proportions, but that corresponds to 22.4 x 28, not to 22 x 28.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob, 

Thanks for your reply. While saving in pdf format should I choose in general category high quality print or any other better option... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

One more thing to clarify. While saving jpeg format we can either use export as or save for web.. which one s better for the printing purpose....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For printing your artwork you do not need to ever think about (export to) JPG.

JPG is a raster format, resolution dependent, with losing compression too.

You only need JPG or other raster formats for web or mobile use, or in some basic applications that cannot work with PDF.

Export to or save to web output the same kind of JPG. They only have different goals or way to do it with more or less options, like resizing or outputting to several sizes at once.

As your main  question, regarding saving as PDF for printing. High quality printing is for in house (office, corporate departments using laser printers or similar).

Commercial printing in a printer facility with hundreds or thousand copies: PDF must use a Print Quality setting, or more recommended: a PDF/X  variant, PDFX-4 if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Federico, 

I appreciate your quick response. Got clarity in pdf format. You have mentioned that outputting to several sizes at once. I would like to know how to outputting to different sizes when we work in illustrator. 

Everytime should I change the art board size and adjust the image size accordingly.. or s there any shortcut..  

Thanks.,

Shabanu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shabanu,

In addition to what Federico said, there are printers that require (RGB) JPEGs, which can be for different reasons, but that is better avoided if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While your questions are great questions to ask, they really should be answered by someone in the prepress department of the printer you're using. Only the printer knows their requirements for your job and the workflow used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing offset or digital?

Can you created an indesign document at the size you need, place your illustrator file and export a print .pdf? 

have you asked your printer what format they need for the .pdf you are to send them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi jona,

I m creating images to sell in etsy... So prints will be taken either at home or in print shop..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines