• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image trace in illustrator greyed out

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything on image trace is greyed out.  Preset, View, Mode, Palette, Threshold (and everything in the advanced section too.)  I think I hit a button that caused this, but now not sure what to do?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

As srisht said, it may be that the image is not selected.

Other things to check:

• Is what you are trying to trace actually an image? If it is vector, Image Trace will be grayed out.
  • Try creating a new Illustrator file. Then choose File > Place. Navigate to the image you want to trace and place it into your Illustrator file. When it is selected, is Image Trace still grayed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi semibold,

Please make sure if the image is selected, this generally happens when the image is not selected.

Also,  Could you please confirm if it is happening with other files as well?

If yes, please reset Illustrator preferences to defaults , for details click here How to set preferences in Illustrator

If it still does not help we would require some more details like

Operating system (Exact version of windows or MAC)

Exact version of Illustrator

Were the files are saved (Both illustrator and place image)

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As srisht said, it may be that the image is not selected.

Other things to check:

• Is what you are trying to trace actually an image? If it is vector, Image Trace will be grayed out.
  • Try creating a new Illustrator file. Then choose File > Place. Navigate to the image you want to trace and place it into your Illustrator file. When it is selected, is Image Trace still grayed out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a photo using adobe capture and saved it as a pdf. (and emailed it to another working location).

I then opened it in AI-CC (it looked like a vector but selected like a pixel image).

Image trace was greyed out.

I then 'Placed' the image/vector into a newly created AI-CC doc., and it acted more like a pixel file.

Image Trace was now available.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me, too, and I realized the image had a clipping path applied. I released that and trace worked as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, this was my problem.

Thank you Saved me some time for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i detect/fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

peterrychlik  schrieb

How do i detect/fix that?

Fix what?

What do you want to detect?

Please descrobe your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kimmarla: This just happened to me, too, and I realized the image had a clipping path applied. I released that and trace worked as expected.

PeterRychlik: How do i detect/fix that?

Clearly he's asking how someone would know if they had a clipping path applied, and if so, how to release the trace.

What are you not understanding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check your layers panel for clipping paths and delete them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo.

I thought I lost my mind. Why was my image trace was greyed out?!

Those pesky clipping masks. Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this solution! I had mistakenly clicked to "embed" my image, saved the document and closed it. When I opened it again I had lost all options to image trace. Illustrator had created a clipping path so once I ungrouped the image and released the clipping mask I was able to image trace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbabra Ash. I created a screenshot of the "image" created a new Illustrator document, and that then recognised it as an image! I'm tracing away now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied a pixelate filter to a shape and I can't trace it. Is there a better way than screenshotting it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object > Expand Appearance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the trace option will be greyed-out when in preview mode, so exit preview mode to trace image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It must be an ai file, not eps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines