• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IMAGE TRACE ISSUE

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 40% Black rectangle and I applied the Graphic Pen filter to it. I need to trace the resulting image to convert it to vector, but the custom settings for Image Trace are greyed out. I'm using the latest version of Illustrator at this time (24.2.3) I searched for answers, but none of them match my problem (the image is not imported/placed; as mentioned before, it is the result of an Illustrator filter.)

EDIT TO ADD: I did this tutorial many times in the past, and never had a problem. For some reason, this time Illustrator doesn't let me apply custom Image Trace settings to the resulting Graphic Pen rectangle.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filter doesn't create what Illustrator recognises as an <Image>. It's still a vector shape with an effect applied.

You would need to rasterise it first if that's what you want to do (Object > Rasterise)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. That's not it. I did rasterize it, and the options are still greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or select Object > Expand Appearance first before tracing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that as well. Custom tracing settings are greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word Custom in the Image Trace panel is greyed out until you change a setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried from the actual Image Trace window, and the button to "Trace" is greyed out in there as well. And I found out the settings I have to change are not even there anymore (Path Fitting, Minimum Area, Corner Angle.)

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 12.15.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The options you mention are from an older CS version of Illustrator; Live Trace.

The current Image Trace does not have these options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines