• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images in file

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paste a picture in the document and after I opened the file the picture became a black square how do I return it to be a picture?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

The image file may not have been linked, so when you re-opened the file, Illustrator could not find the original.  If you pasted from the clipboard, the image preview could also have become corrupt.  Best practice is to save your images in a folder dedicated to a file.  What I do is create a directory ( not sure that is the right word ) folder ( i.e., JOB060221A = main folder > inside that are two folders: 1.) Illustrator Files; 2.) Photoshop Files > save images in the Photoshop folder, save you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Also, when you paste from the clipboard that is a temporary file.  As soon as you copy > paste another file, the other file is lost, no longer exists in the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try View > Preview on CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried placing the file instead of pasting it? File > Place is the recommended way to insert images into an Illustrator document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FRTT_0-1622646294551.png

It was a picture and turned into a black rectangle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select it what do you see in the Links panel?

(And what Monika and SJRiegel asked)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the link window it also looks like a black rectangle

FRTT_0-1622650249972.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I preview in the CPU nothing changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of picture is it?

What if you open it in Photoshop and resave it in an appropriate format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have it in Photoshop
I copied it from a clipboard
But why did it happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator cannot handle each and every file format with all the possible options. So how about opening it in Photoshop and then resave it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image file may not have been linked, so when you re-opened the file, Illustrator could not find the original.  If you pasted from the clipboard, the image preview could also have become corrupt.  Best practice is to save your images in a folder dedicated to a file.  What I do is create a directory ( not sure that is the right word ) folder ( i.e., JOB060221A = main folder > inside that are two folders: 1.) Illustrator Files; 2.) Photoshop Files > save images in the Photoshop folder, save your document in the Illustrator Files folder using whatever name you want.  As suggested already, you typically "Place" an image file inside your Illustrator document.  When you "Place" the image, you can set it to become linked to the original file which exists in the Photoshop folder.  This becomes a nested system where everything can be found in one folder.  When you pasted from the clipboard, the original file really never existed, so Illustrator put a placemat ( i.e., black rectangle ) in its spot.  Just have to find the original image and "Link" it to your document ( try not to embed image files, your file quickly becomes bloated ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when you paste from the clipboard that is a temporary file.  As soon as you copy > paste another file, the other file is lost, no longer exists in the clipboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines