• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import multiple path files from excel sheet into illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I'm working on a project for my college. I've 100+ differnet illustrator files of just paths. I need a way to import paths in illustrator from an excel sheet containing random paths from those 100 differnet path files of illustrator. Help me with it. Thanks. 

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you need help with?

Getting those Excel paths into Illustrator? Does exporting a PDF from Excel and then importing that into Illustrator help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the OP’s »100+ differnet illustrator files of just paths« means they have ai files and the »paths« in the excel files are the filepaths/fullName/… 

What exactly »an excel sheet containing random paths« ultimately means seems unclear to me, though. 

If random placement of a finite nuber of files (or the paths in the files) was the aim, why involve excel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're exactly right. this is what I want. the excel sheet will contain the path url from the laptop which are in the different locations which i'll format that in excel so in the end, i wanted 100+ illustrator files from different locations from my computer from my excel sheet in one AI file, this will save me alot of time and then once they are in illustrator i'll manage it further, don't worry about that. please help with it. 

I'm attacghing screenshots, you'll get an idea what i want exactly. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sourabhd50498953 

please describe a bit more in detail.

Show screenshots from what you really want and/or give us an example XLS file and and example (result) AI file, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! thanks for replying, i'm attaching the screenshots of what i want. here's an folder of 100+ marvel character decals i made in AI, an excel sheet will contain random names and paths from those decals, i want AI to import those ai files in a single artboard from that excel sheet. i'm attaching of screenshots of those as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100 files will take 100 seconds to copy/paste from excel and place into Illustrator.

Or you can write a script which would read a text file previously exported from Excel, make a text array from text lines and add placedItems with PlacedItem.file property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! thanks for replying, i'm attaching the screenshots of what i want. here's an folder of 100+ marvel character decals i made in AI, an excel sheet will contain random names and paths from those decals, i want AI to import those ai files in a single artboard from that excel sheet. i'm attaching of screenshots of those as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files seem to reside in the samne Folder already so what is the excel sheet good for? 

For (pseudo-)randomisation a Script itself could handle picking X number of the files in the Folder at random. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They won't be in the same folder, i just gave an example. locations would be vary and i'd put that in that excel sheet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They won't be in the same folder, i just gave an example. locations would be vary and i'd put that in that excel sheet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines