• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing adobe illustrator files into powerpoint. (Vector)

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I import vector Illustrator files into Powerpoint, so I can edit them later. I have tried PDF (won't work), WMF text breacks up and scaling makes the text crap!

EPS looks rubbish.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

When creating PP presentations I create the vector then import that to Photoshop and export from there as .PNG using asset generator or you can export .png straight out of Illy.

For easy editing I would use the first option as when you make a change to the vector it will update the .png file and then you just update the image (change picture) in PP once edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating PP presentations I create the vector then import that to Photoshop and export from there as .PNG using asset generator or you can export .png straight out of Illy.

For easy editing I would use the first option as when you make a change to the vector it will update the .png file and then you just update the image (change picture) in PP once edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this Evolution of Intelligent Design: How to Get Illustrator Vectors Into PowerPoint might be a way of doing it.

This is a option if your are using a Apple MAC, I have tried using EMF, great if you don't use text or scale your image.

There must be a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry using a PNG isn't an option.

I want the client to be able to edit the graphic in Power Point later.  The client doesn't have Illustrator, and I want the graphic to be a vector format. I use to be able to do this from Coral draw about 10 years ago. Any one know if I can do this from Illustrator?

I have tried all the formats out of Illustrator, just wonder if anyone has any tricks please.

How do un-answer this, it's not the correct answer!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to make it a vector in PP then go for the .EMF option. I've just tried this and it works ok but not perfect. Once you import the .EMF file and then ungroup it you can then Edit Shape>Edit Points but this only seems to work for paths, if you have a filled shape it seems to not want to give you the option of editing the points...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EMF breaks up the text and the text them doesn't scale. Text is really rubbish in EMF. Must be a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you outline the text before you exported? As long as you don't want to have to update the text you will be fine. PP is pretty rubbish at scaling up when you have live text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your, help.

I need the graphic to be able to sit in Power point, look great quality and be completely able to be edited in Power point, Text included. It all needs to be vector. And no text breaking up and able to change colours and fonts and scalable etc.

Need to edit the graphic colour and change update text.

Otherwise I'm going to have find another software that can do this or create in Power point which is very limited!

There must be away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say but I really don't think what you are asking is actually possible. Text can only be either live text (PP doesn't scale, only font size increased/decreased) or outlined from Illy and therefore not editable. You can get an add-on for PP that enables you to outline text in PP but at a cost (G-Tools for PowerPoint - YOU present).

Sorry can't help further than that. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jenhen1 wrote:

I need the graphic to be able to sit in Power point, look great quality and be completely able to be edited in Power point, Text included. It all needs to be vector. And no text breaking up and able to change colours and fonts and scalable etc.

Need to edit the graphic colour and change update text.

Then you can't build it in Illustrator; at least not all of it.*

...or create in Power point...

.That's your answer. Ultimately, Powerpoint-editable = Powerpoint native.

...which is very limited!

Are you just assuming that, or have you actually tried to do something and found it impossible? Plenty of drawing can be done in Powerpoint, and text is text. What exactly are you trying to do?

*If you are running Windows, there are ways to get straight Illustrator vectors (no live effects, blends, meshes, etc.) onto a Powerpoint slide using Paste Special. Forget text though, seeing as you need it live and editable in Powerpoint...you'll have no choice but to set it in Powerpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am asking the impossible. But it's worth asking. I know I could do this years ago using Coral Draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenhen1,

Not sure if this could be of any help? Not sure if you are on a mac or pc..?

Illustrator CS6 to Powerpoint 2011 (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use illustrator to create the shapes, save as SVG file, drag and drop to PPT presentation, Convert to Shape and then it is editable in color fill, stroke color and scalable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not read every post in this thread, but PPT accepts PDF. Why not use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For occasional import of graphics, or particularly with complex ones, PDF is fine, as long as it's RGB.

However, for graphics you'll want to reuse, there are good reasons that native PPT shapes are better than PDF (or other imported graphic formats):

• Most importantly, they can be filled, outlined, or have any other PPT styling done to it

• You can edit the points (although PPT's drawing tools are so bad, I generally avoid this if I can)

• Imported graphics increase file size more

• It can be tricky to get colors to match up with imported graphics. With native shapes, it will match exactly and if you change the color theme/template they will change too

The thread linked a couple posts above has the solution on a Mac—at least until Adobe Acrobat's export to PPT feature is fixed to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution to this problem that I use regularly and it employs Open Office's presentation module as a go-between.

From Illustrator, export vector shapes as enhanced metafiles.

Open the presentation module of Open Office. Go to Insert>Picture>From File and import your shape.

Left click on the imported object(s), left click, and then choose "Break" from the pop-up menu.

Then go to File>Save as and save as a Powerpoint file. When you open the file in Powerpoint, When you open the file in Powerpoint, you will have fully editable vector files.

Two caveats: (1) Small shapes will sometimes get distorted in the conversion process. If you have a lot of small complex shapes, it might be necessary to choose parts of your drawing and enlarge them before you do the export and conversion process. (2) If a shape is exported as just outlines, the outlines might become filled shapes. You should fill all objects and not have them outlined before you export from Illustrator.

I was searching to see if an easier way had been developed since I first hit on this solution several years ago, but I guess not.

--Valerie (Illustrator and Powerpoint user since 1994)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use PDf because I need to change colours in Power point all the time.

I have been using WMF's and ungroup and then I can change colours, as ValwRichardson has said. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

much easier and better solution, especially if you want editable image (not so great for complicated vectors that have gradients and such).

Re: Illustrator CS6 to Powerpoint 2011 (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be late but recently i had same issue as you and after hours of RnD, i found this; not easy and one step but still works.

Create a WMF and PDF of you illustrator vector file, now open PDF  in PDF acrobat Pro and Export to MS powerpoint. Here you'll get all text editable non-broken. Now drag WMF into ppt to get shapes and copy same text file to this. all things will be in place if you don't move.

I tried and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WMF can not safely be used on Mac OS, because Windows Metafile uses functions not provided by Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a windows user and it worked perfectly just saving the illustrator as PDF then opening with acrobat and exporting a pptx. Thank you so much you saved my life today! Everything is editable and all vector are 100% quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I do when bringing graphics into Powerpoint or Google Slides.

First in Illustrator I choose SELECT ALL and then copy it.

I open up a new Photoshop document with a transparent background.  Depending on the size needed that may vary.

I then paste the graphic I copied from Illustrator to Photoshop, and choose to place it as a Smart Object.

I then save it as PNG.

Then in Powerpoint or Google Slides, I choose that PNG and bring it in.  Then I adjust the size to fill the frame of the slide however I like.

Granted these can not be changed directly in Powerpoint or Google Slides.  If I need to change something I just follow the same process.  But I try my best not to make mistakes and proof everything as I go through each stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KShinabery212  schrieb

I then save it as PNG.

That won't bring a vector graphic into PowerPoint (which was the question)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, I know.

I was simply being friendly and explaining how I bring a creation in from Illustrator to Powerpoint or Google Docs.

I hope you are not taking my comment personally, I was only trying to share.  I create a lot of vectors to share in presentations when I speak at conferences.

It is a work around.  And I think I know that PNG is not a vector.  It is just one of the many ways to accomplish a task.  Please do not take my comment personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines