• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing gradients

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import gradients from photoshop to illustrator. I have saved my gradient from photoshop however when I try to import it onto illustrator it comes up with "the file is in a unkown format and its styles cannot be imported." 

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it? 

The file is saved as a .gdr

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator nature is vectorial, not pixel based as Photoshop gradients. GDR is a format extension unrecognizable by illustrator.

A pixel gradient from PS is unusable as Illustrator gradient.

You have to create a new gradient in Illustrator, though you can used those colors in the swatches stops picking up colors with the Eyedropper tool from a raster pixel object placed from Photoshop using those gradients.

An alternative is to use Cloud libraries that include those sngle swatches.

Or use the standard practice of exporting selected swatches from Photoshop swatches panel as .ase file (Adobe swatches exchange file) that can be use in Illustrator or InDesign too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Photoshop gradients are different from other Adobe apps.

I once made a comparison between applications using gradients with the same color stops.

Photoshop was different.

It will be hard to exchange gradients this way. But it may not be impossible for smart Adobe engineers.

Gradients compared-01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you may add another vote (to the current (Edit: 482) 795votes here:
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/30997678-al...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

693 current count

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't Adobe. They aim to have this unique shared environment and yet this so basic feature is not available. Crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

777 votes today. 

777 is considered a lucky number. 777 is used on most slot machines in the United States to identify a jackpot. 

So you never know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines