Highlighted

Importing PDF into Illustrator question

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a weird one. I was hurrying, in the middle of a lot of work, and absentmindedly opened a multipage .pdf into illustrator as one continuous text box. I can't for the life of me figure out how to recreate this, I can only seem to open the file as multiple artboards. And I'm opening the same exact pdf file! Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to be able to do this again.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing PDF into Illustrator question

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a weird one. I was hurrying, in the middle of a lot of work, and absentmindedly opened a multipage .pdf into illustrator as one continuous text box. I can't for the life of me figure out how to recreate this, I can only seem to open the file as multiple artboards. And I'm opening the same exact pdf file! Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to be able to do this again.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Do you want to import just the text of a PDF into Illustrator?

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I've done that many times, but never like this. I don't know how I could have accomplished it. All text from every page in the pdf opened in a single text box.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which software has the PDF been created?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That I don't know, it was supplied to me. I get a lot of pdf files, and many I have to ultimately edit within Illustrator, but I've never had that happen before and I'd  love to replicate it. However I can't even replicate it with the very same file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With PDF you get what you get. Unless it has been created in Illustrator AND saved with "Illustrator editablity".

I can't say what you remember. Maybe you happened to open a PDF with Illustrator editability, but for sure there is no "secret" way to make PDFs with connected text boxes. PDFs shouldn't be edited at all in Illustrator.

And if you don't believe me, then please  read the wisdom of world's most recognized PDF experts: https://prepression.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-ten-commandments-of-pdf.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Resources