Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Transparent EPS/AI Vector File into Photoshop

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have downloaded a few "spark" images w/transparent backgrounds from AdobeStock.com but they are all in Vector or EPS format.

When I attempt to import these vector files into Photoshop, it does not retain the transparency.

I have deselected the checkered background layer in AI, and copied and pasted only the sparks layer into Photoshop but it automatically creates a black surrounding.

Is there a specific way as to how I need to import the file AI file into Photoshop.

Many thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 3.39.00 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Hi PeanutButterjealous,

the file you mentioned can be opened in Illustrator.

It looks like a complicated file.

The transparency grid you see is a fake transparency grid made from gray squares.

There is a path above this "grid" that contains an opacity mask with a gradient

If you remove or hide these 2 layers at the bottom and choose View > Show Transparency Grid you will see the real transparency of the objects.

If you copy and paste these into Photoshop as a smart object and enlarge them a lot (they

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give the filename/number of the Adobe Stock file?

EPS format does not support transparency, so that is not surprising.

But vector format (if  saved as an .ai file), does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,

Below are the details for the Adobe Stock Image:

FILE #: 125531059 - FILE TYPE: AI/EPS

After I download this file, do I need to save it as AI file before importing to Photoshop?

On a separate note, is there a way to just filter "spark transparent" images that are in PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PeanutButterjealous,

the file you mentioned can be opened in Illustrator.

It looks like a complicated file.

The transparency grid you see is a fake transparency grid made from gray squares.

There is a path above this "grid" that contains an opacity mask with a gradient

If you remove or hide these 2 layers at the bottom and choose View > Show Transparency Grid you will see the real transparency of the objects.

If you copy and paste these into Photoshop as a smart object and enlarge them a lot (they are tiny) you will keep the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, I've done what the correct answer says but when i hide the background (fake transparency) and copy and paste it into Photoshop as a Smart Object i still get the black outline of it all.

Download the EPS file here: https://ufile.io/tw12i

Illustrator, WITH the fake transparent background:

ill-2.png

Illustrator, removed the fake transparent background:

ill-1.png

Photoshop, Pasted it in Photoshop as a Smart Object:

photoshop-effect.png

How can i get this working right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to set your Smart Object layer to Screen in Photoshop.

Or copy the sublayer <Clip Group> in Illustrator and paste it in a new RGB file.

Create a new layer below it with a dark colored shap to make the Screen transparency effect visible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, I've tried all those options and none seem to work. Can you download the EPS file and have a go yourself please, i know ill be taking some of your time up but id really appreciate it if possible. I have a number of EPS files that are ALL doing that exact same thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did download your file, copied the Clip Group

Clip group.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but now copy the Layer 1 <Clip Group> and paste it in Photoshop, you will still see the black outline again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said:

Try to set your Smart Object layer to Screen in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And put a dark colored layer below it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to convert this type of eps in PNG?

Please tell ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, Very good ðŸ˜’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I apologize for shining on, I have the same problem. I downloaded a vector image on a fake transparency grid. It doesn't show multiple layers. The image is a beam of light that can't be isolated from the fake transparent background. In this context,  what do you mean by:  "There is a path above this "grid" that contains an opacity mask with a gradient. If you remove or hide these two layers at the bottom..So now how can I get real transparency when there's only one layer? Thank you for any help you can provide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every file might be built differently. Without seeing your file, nobody can help you.

Here's a video that deconstructs one of them: https://youtu.be/Tiqm5hdQA5A

Due to stock companies' ancient file requirements, clip arts with glow effects might be a daunting experience. About this channel: My name is Monika Gause and on this channel I'll be showing tipps and tricks on Adobe Illustrator and other graphics applications. For more than 10 years I've been ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you paste into PS are you selecting "Smart Object" option?

Try deleting all the "background" layers from the EPS file and "Save As" to AI Then opening or placing the AI in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop CC 21.2.7 in OS High Sierra 10.13.6 suddenly started doing the same thing - opening an eps logo file with transparent background that previously always displayed correctly now has a black field!  I thought it was corrupted but it isn't, as I opened in AI to check. What's happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show your Layers panel? Spin open any layers so we can see the contents. The object creating the "black field" should be near the bottom of the layer stack.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a simple example of the problem, with the layers and channels. I found no clue as to the origine of the black. Of course I can simply select the red but with some logos it's not so easy. The black shouldn't be there. I hope this isn't one of those digital gremlins no one has ever heard of.

Thanks for your response

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS are not transparent. EPS cannot contain transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. What I refer to is the background of eps logos, not the image itself. All of the logos we use were created in AI, saved as eps files. Up until the other day if I opened a logo in photoshop, as I have been doing for many years, I would see just the logo, but now it is surrounded by black which I cannot delete.

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for a different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines