Highlighted

Include symbols in my Illustrator preset

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a document preset. I saved it in the location

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2020\Support Files\Required\New Document Profiles\en_US

When I saved it I added a custom symbol library to it. However, when I create a new document with my preset I do not have the symbol from the custom library available. How could I make is so my custom symbol library is available when I launch a document from my preset?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately creating a new document preset is unnessecary complicated in Illustrator.

There are 2 places where the presets can be added, the one you used, in the application folder and here:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings\en_GB\x64\New Document Profiles.

A preset saved in the program folder gets copied to the other location, but when modified, the changed file is not copied again and the first copy remains the preset. 

You need to remove the older versions and save them again in 

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings\en_GB\x64\New Document Profiles.

TOPICS
Performance, Sync and storage, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Include symbols in my Illustrator preset

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a document preset. I saved it in the location

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2020\Support Files\Required\New Document Profiles\en_US

When I saved it I added a custom symbol library to it. However, when I create a new document with my preset I do not have the symbol from the custom library available. How could I make is so my custom symbol library is available when I launch a document from my preset?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ton Frederiks | Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately creating a new document preset is unnessecary complicated in Illustrator.

There are 2 places where the presets can be added, the one you used, in the application folder and here:

A preset saved in the program folder gets copied to the other location, but when modified, the changed file is not copied again and the first copy remains the preset. 

TOPICS
Performance, Sync and storage, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird. This has been reported a couple of days ago.

Can you try the other "New document profiles" location which is inside your user folder? Does that work?

If not, please report this to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 1
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The copies of the New Document Profiles in the Required folder are the ones used when you use Reset Preferences to populate the replacement Preferences. At least that is what used to be the norm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 1
Resources