• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDD to Ai (via PDF), change Text (Textboxissue)

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

i have a quite specific problem,  i hope you can help me.

I have an InDD Dokumt with 3000 Pages. Each page has the same structure:

1 Picure (either jpg, tiff, eps, pdf)

1 Layer with a path for plotting, this needs to remain

few Layers with white boxes

and in the middle 1 Layer with Text.

This Text is Always

Familie

Fröhlich

Two Words on two lines.

This is Text that needs to be individulised seperately.

What i need is every Page in an seperate PDF-Dokument, so i can open it in Illustrator and change the Text. (yes, i need this workflow) The step via PDF is not neccesary, an export from InDD direktly to AI would also be okay.

My Problem is that the two Lines of Text export in two seperate Textboxes, which is an issue due to the amount of different Pages.

Another problem is that the Layers change, this is not much of an issue but maybe there is a way to keep the Layers as the are? (Picture attached)

My Question is: is there any way to preserve the two lines of Text in one Textbox and Layer? Or something similar? I simply want to copy / paste the new Text, this can be a new Text everyday.

Thank you for your help!

Greetings, Sani

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you very much for you reply and your help!

No i dont have to switch back to InDesign. Although i'd love to work in InDesign, it lacks some other actions that i need in the further process.

But thanks to your and the Forums help, i found a solution that fits exactly my needs:

https://www.scriptopedia.org/en/js-illustrator/211-text-rebuild-tools-en.html

so again, thank you very much

Greetings, Sani

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import a PDF into Illustrator, those 2 lines of text will always be at least 2 objects. It might get even worse (more objects or conversion to paths)

You might want to try the plugin VectorFirstAid, which can maybe help with reconnecting the text objects automatically. They can be reconnected manually, but then the thing might lack a space.

You might also try importing the PDFs into Affinity Designer, which is able to connect text upon import, but then the text formatting might get lost and also you can't transfer the pages to Illustrator.

So basically you are very stuck. Why is it not posible to edit this in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

Looks like VektorFirstAid maybe do what i need

I didn't want to do it in InDesign because there are more other very small but in total more timeconsuming issues.

i am trying to find solutions for them, too, so hopefully I will find the best in the End

(One "big" issue can be found here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/aktions-in-indd-similar-to-ai/m-p/11999858

the whole following Workflow in my Company is based on this, so i need to find a way to work with it:

open the one page / dokument that is needed, paste the new Text and save / close via shortcut.

I hope my writing is not too confusing, i am very sorry.

Again: Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you don't need to continue working on them in InDesign?

Going back and forth will create a mess.

Still I'm not sure why InDesign doesn't do it. What is not built into it, can probably addressed with a script.

If you want to convert this project to AI files, then export the PDF from InDesign and then break it into single pages in Acrobat. And then import and brush up all those single files in Illustrator and save them as AI files. That is one huge effort, but will prepare you for the future.

Markzware has a copuple PDF related plugins, maybe they have one for this as well. But still: going back and forth between Illustrator and InDesign will get you into trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for you reply and your help!

No i dont have to switch back to InDesign. Although i'd love to work in InDesign, it lacks some other actions that i need in the further process.

But thanks to your and the Forums help, i found a solution that fits exactly my needs:

https://www.scriptopedia.org/en/js-illustrator/211-text-rebuild-tools-en.html

so again, thank you very much

Greetings, Sani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would having every page as a single InDesign document help?

http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/extractpages.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not exactly in this case, but veeeeery good to know, so thank you!

Greetings, Sani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines