• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign and Illustrator Exporting PDFs as Illustrator Files but still with the .pdf sufix

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using OS Mojave, 10.14.6

When I try to open a pdf that I've just exported using illustrator or indesign, instead of opening the document in preview, it starts up Illustrator and opens it there as an Illustrator pdf. My documents are saved as a pdf, but only opens as an Illustrator file. 

I do have Preview as my default option, the files are saved as .pdf but even the icon is like it is an illustrator file.

I've deleated and relinstalled both, illustrator + indesign. When I deleated Illustrator, my .pdfs exported from indesign did showed as pdf, but when I reinstalled illustrator the problem was back. 

SaarahStephanie8_0-1620866001569.png Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 6.35.38 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please see a screenshot showing you have Open With set correctly.

MikeGondek_0-1620871835836.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure 🙂

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.38.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.37.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike, I know it's a different file but it's the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This strange effect: macOS ignoring the default app and running some other one, is much reported for all sorts of apps. Nobody seems to know the cause. We can be sure it's nothing Illustrator does. All any app can do is say what file type it's able to open, and leave the decisions up to macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... there's no solution 🥺?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report this in some Apple forums.

Mac OS has databases which file extension in linked to which app. These can get corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open from Preview rather than in the finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines