• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inner Shadow missing feature?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a better alternative to my current vector graphic applications, mostly to create modern web and application UI's.

So I downloaded the trial version of Illustrator CC, to see if I should make the jump to Illustrator for vector work.

After using about half a day to learn the applicaiton and do some experimentation, I was going to apply an Inner shadow to some text on a button, to make it look indented, and was like "What the.....where's the Inner Shadow Effect?".

I could see the Drop Shadow feature, and there's an Inner Glow feature (can't be offset), but that doesn't solve the problem of making shapes and text look indented.

If anyone doesn't know what I mean, just browse 'Inner Shadow' on google, it's such a fundamental feature.

• Photoshop has it.
  • InDesign has it.
  • Fireworks has it.
  • Even Sketch, the app for Mac has it. And Acorn has it as well.
  • Hell, I can even write it in CSS3:

.example {

-moz-box-shadow: inset -5px -5px #888;

-webkit-box-shadow: inset -5px -5px #888;

box-shadow: inset -5px -5px #888;

}

So I looked around the web, and realized Illustrator has no Inner Shadow feature (!!), but there are work arounds. Here's an example:

http://vectorboom.com/load/effects/innershadow/3-1-0-257

(Or this:)

http://www.webdesign.org/raster-graphics/fireworks/mastering-shadows-in-photoshop-illustrator-and-fi...

Sorry, but when you are used to applying something so fundamental as Inner Shadow, to make your shapes and texts look indented with a single click (and easily adjust it live and experiment), then it's hard to get used to Illustrator.

And when something so basic is missing, then you can only fear what else will also hinder you, as you continue to learn the application and try to make the switch.

Looking at the forum and others who have requested the same thing, and for so long, it sadly also says something about how much adobe listens to the community.

Sorry but this is a deal breaker for me, and my trial stops here.

I'm sure Illustrator can do a lot of other fancy things, but since it still havent figured out the fundamentals (shadow and indented), I'm not buying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes no sense to ask for it in this forum. If you want it, ask on uservoice. because there you address the developers: Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it makes sense to do both,  this post helped find a solution to the same (damn) issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hehe, funny. 2022 and still nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone consider that if there are so many apps with this effect, including Adobe products that Adobe may have Nerfed Illustrator by design to keep other products in their stable desirable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally, it's one of those things - like, guys, helllo.. can't you just add ALL the features to ALL the CC programs, it's the same damn product you are selling to ppl, really.

the inner glow soluion sucks, because (hello again..) you can't adjust the angle of the shadow (!)

and the solution in the 1st link you have posted is pretty good. with the text shape it looks a bit long, but in reality it's pretty easy, especially if you are trying to do inner shadow on a shape, which is usually the case: make a bigger shape, cut out with the shape you need the shadow for, make shadow on this bigger shape, put in a mask with the same exact shape you used for cutting out the bigger shape, done. Mask is the key word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines