Highlighted

Interlacing 3D Text while Keeping Vectors

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I've been working on a logo for myself for the past week or so, I'm a self-taught beginner.

The logo involves text that I've extruded and created gradients for using the blend tool.

I've attached a photo of what the rough draft looks like; I'm trying to create depth by making the arms of the "x" interact with the "E" by having the left arms of the X be behind the E, but the front two arms remain in front of the "E" to make it appear as the bottom two extensions of the "E" are using the space on the top and bottom of the X to interlock.

My challenge is getting that depth effect to happen. I'm not advanced enough to understand the easiest way to do this, I've been attempting to move it into photoshop to use the 3D workspace for it, but I end up ruining my vectors. I've already had to start over on this project twice and I need to move on to other things, so any help on getting this effect to happen would be fantastic.

IF more info is needed, please let me know!

Hello, Bryan.

I created it with the Blend Tool.

1.png

The "E" one is fairly easy to do.
Create a side Brent and place another gradient object on top.

The "X" created separate gradients on the diagonal bars and blended them together after grouping them.

The smaller the number of blends, the easier it is to work with.
I'm working on about 100.

2.png

Then, hide the unnecessary part of the "E" with a clipping mask.

mask.gif

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Interlacing 3D Text while Keeping Vectors

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I've been working on a logo for myself for the past week or so, I'm a self-taught beginner.

The logo involves text that I've extruded and created gradients for using the blend tool.

I've attached a photo of what the rough draft looks like; I'm trying to create depth by making the arms of the "x" interact with the "E" by having the left arms of the X be behind the E, but the front two arms remain in front of the "E" to make it appear as the bottom two extensions of the "E" are using the space on the top and bottom of the X to interlock.

My challenge is getting that depth effect to happen. I'm not advanced enough to understand the easiest way to do this, I've been attempting to move it into photoshop to use the 3D workspace for it, but I end up ruining my vectors. I've already had to start over on this project twice and I need to move on to other things, so any help on getting this effect to happen would be fantastic.

IF more info is needed, please let me know!

Hello, Bryan.

1.png

The "X" created separate gradients on the diagonal bars and blended them together after grouping them.

2.png

mask.gif

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a video?

Please don't do GIF videos. They are impossible to follow, because can't be stopped.

Show screenshots. And please include them in your post and not attach them. Your GIF doesn't download.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used the forums before and I'm a beginner! Thanks for the feedback and instruction as I didn't know that!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D effect.jpg

If you want to create the illusion of the characters being interwoven, turn the characters into outlines (Type > Create Outlines), apply the 3D effect (Effect > 3D > Extrude & Bevel), expand the effect on each character, and select all and use the Shape Builder Tool to make the appropriate sections to appear to be in front and others behind the various parts. To use the Shape Builder Tool, select all the parts, and drag over the parts to connect starting from the part with the color you want to keep and ending on the part you want to add to that shape. When I made the above example, some parts didn't connect with the Shape Builder Tool, so to fix it quickly, I just changed them manually by adding and moving points.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response and the detailed explanation on how to accomplish my goal!

My only concern is would I be able to get the same gradient effect that I created in the intial image?

My understanding is that gradient is created by doing a gradient on the sub layers created by the blend tool and turning the layering up to 300+ to create the depth.

How would I go about getting a similar color situation using that method? Would I extrude the object after using the blend tool to create the gradient effect and work from there with the Shape builder tool and the 3d work space to get it in position? I tried that but it kept crashing from trying to extrude 300 layers!

Thanks for taking the time to respond and possibly read my response! The help is appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you expand the 3D effect, each object that creates the illusion of 3D is a shape. You can select each of those and apply a gradient fill, edit the gradient, and rotate as desired. You don't have to use a blend.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Bryan.

1.png

2.png

mask.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

I actually saw this after I figured out how to use the clipping mask, just in the reverse way by pen tracing the E which was more tedious than the way you illustrated, so I still learned from your post!

Thank you! Now all that's left is remaking the x and the 2 as vectors to get rid of these PNG pixels 😠

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Bryan D LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embarassing follow up, I went to redesign the gradients so I started again, and I'm not capable of performing the rotate after having used the blend tool (final render should have 300 layers).

How do I get this layer into a standard vector image? Like for example in photoshop I'd just make it a PNG and paste it back in to get rid of the layers and create one image, but I can't seem to figure out what kind of file type to export the individual letters to so I can create separate files to import back in to AI that I'm actually able to rotate without crashing my computer.

Sorry for the basic questions! I tried my best to find the answer elsewhere but it's kind of specific. I also haven't been able to create a clipping mask on an object that has blend done on it which is the main obstacle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines