• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to convert/import InDesign text boxes into Illustrator?

Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm learning Illustrator, so I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do. 

One nifty feature in InDesign is that you can create multiple linked textboxes, and in just a few clicks, put characters, words, or text into the individual boxes. I thought it would be fun to make Scrabble tiles in Illustrator and use them to create a design. Is it possible to create the tiles I want in ID then import them into ID? I tried converting my ID document into a PDF and importing it into Illustrator, but I hit a wall in trying to "break apart" the individual text boxes. 

Thanks,

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

If you are looking for linked textboxes in Illustrator, scroll to the Threading text between objects section on this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/creating-text.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

You can create the text boxes in Illustrator (described on Ton's link), then copy the text (as text, selected by Type tool, not text frames) and paste it into Illustrator's text boxes.

When you create a one-page layout or some separate pages for your Scrabble, you can do it either in Illustrator or in InDesign, it's just a question of your personal preferences. But if you plan some kind of book/brochure, InDesign suits for this much better.

Note: you can't copy/paste text boxes from InDesign to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text flow is simply handled differently across programs. There are costly plug-ins that convert to all kinds of formats, but it will never work liek you want it to. You're still bound to the differences in the text engines and would need to put in extra work. So for all intents and purposes, don't even get into such muddied workflows and learn to do things the "correct", clean way natively in the programs even if it seems harder at first.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the straight-foreward answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are looking for linked textboxes in Illustrator, scroll to the Threading text between objects section on this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/user-guide.html/illustrator/using/creating-text.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. That was more of less what I was looking to do -- but way, way different from ID. I just spent an hour trying to get the characters perfectly aligned in their boxes, a two-click operation in ID. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create the text boxes in Illustrator (described on Ton's link), then copy the text (as text, selected by Type tool, not text frames) and paste it into Illustrator's text boxes.

When you create a one-page layout or some separate pages for your Scrabble, you can do it either in Illustrator or in InDesign, it's just a question of your personal preferences. But if you plan some kind of book/brochure, InDesign suits for this much better.

Note: you can't copy/paste text boxes from InDesign to Illustrator, but you can copy/paste simple decorative elements (not too complex, with flat Fill and no effects/patterns/brushes) from Illustrator to InDesign. Complex backgrounds with showy appearance must be placed like any external images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines