• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to select multiple layers by selecting first and last layers?

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently get Illustrator files in that have individual objects such as paths on individual layers that could be grouped to make the layers more concise. I find that I have to shift click each individual layer to select it to eventually group it. At times, I have 25 or so layers that I need to select. Is there a way to select the first and last layer in the layers palette, and have Illustrator select all layers in between?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Don't know about selecting layers by first/last, but to select multiple consecutive layers in the layers palette.....

Option-click (Mac) on a layer to highlight it and, with the option key still pressed, drag down the list--DO NOT click-drag on the target icons as logic would tell you.  As you drag down the layer list, the target icons will become selected.

Shift-Option-click allows you to skip layers and continue selecting additional consecutive layers on down the palette.

Note:  Drag slowl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just highlight one layer and then click on the other layer you want included. Everything inbetween should be included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean shift-click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't seem to work for me. Is there a key I should be holding down as I click the last layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was making the mistake of shift selecting the object rather than highlighting the layer. That's a definate help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooopppss...hold it. The objects on those layers aren't selected....only the layers are selected. I want to group the objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all your desired layers selected, look in the flyout menu of the layers panel for "collect in new layer"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, I don't want them on a different layer. Same layer as they resided on, simply grouped together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl clik on the target icon (buuls eye) against the each layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ctrl click on the target icon for each layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't seem to select the objects from here....to there...in the layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katrina, starting with nothing selected, click on the first layer then Shift+Click on the last layer, now all desired layers are selected but no art is selected yet on the canvas.

On the layer fly out menu click on "Hide Others" to hide all other layers, now hit Ctrl+A to select all artwork on the canvas.

From here I'm not clear on what you need to do with the selection, as mentioned before if you group the selection, all objects will all end up in one layer.

once you're done (save selection perhaps), on the layer fly out menu, click on "Show All Layers" to bring everything back on the screen

CarlosCanto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should of stated my problem differently. I want to select multiple objects, that each reside on their own layer, in sequential order. Is there a way to select a first and last object and holding down a key, select all objects inbetween???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katrina,

This may be what you are after (wording from the Helpfile of an old, old version):

To save a selection:

1. Select one or more objects on the artboard, and choose Select > Save Selection.

2. In the Save Selection dialog box, enter a name in the Name text box, and click OK.

The new selection name appears in the Select menu.

After that, you can access the selection through Select>Name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't group objects on different layers. They will all be moved to the highest layer in the stack to be grouped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry is correct.

This is what you would get if you click on one objet on the canvas then shift click on another object and then go to the layers panel and shift click each layers's object in between they will be added to the selection but when you collect them into a group that will collect them into a new top layer. which is probably not what you want.

However there is no reason this could not be a feature as a layer collection so that if you activate the collection they are selected but if you just select the object on its own layer it is  activated independently.

I am not sure this can be scripted be it might be worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I guess it's the way I work. I routinely select objects by selecting them from the layers palette, and not the canvas, so that I can't accidentally move an object that is the clients artwork. I prefer to work this way, as I consider it "safer". (I lock layers I'm not using) I routinely run into artists work that for instance, converted fonts to outline, and now each compound layer that is an individual letter is an object on it's own layer. I need things grouped together and titled so that if I need to come back to this file and quickly fix something on press, I can tell what layer holds what object.

Therefore, I frequently need to select objects in a two mile long (slight exaggeration ) list of layers/sublayers and group them, retaining them in their same layers in the event an effect has been applied at the top hiearchy of that layer.

It would be great if a key, or combination of keys, would allow me to select the top object, scroll down and select the last object, and have Illustrator select all between those two.

Hope this is available in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katrina,

And I guess it's the way I work. 1) I routinely select objects by selecting them from the layers palette, and not the canvas, so that I can't accidentally move an object that is the clients artwork. I prefer to work this way, as I consider it "safer". (I lock layers I'm not using) I routinely run into artists work that for instance, converted fonts to outline, and now each compound layer that is an individual letter is an object on it's own layer. 2) I need things grouped together and titled so that if I need to come back to this file and quickly fix something on press, I can tell what layer holds what object.

3) Therefore, I frequently need to select objects in a two mile long (slight exaggeration ) list of layers/sublayers and group them, retaining them in their same layers in the event an effect has been applied at the top hiearchy of that layer.

It would be great if a key, or combination of keys, would allow me to select the top object, scroll down and select the last object, and have Illustrator select all between those two.

If you create and use selections as suggested in post #12, you do have to select individual objects when they share layers with other objects (but you can select whole layers as well) in exactly the way you are used to (1), but you only have to do it once instead of having to repeat it (3), and you have them collected with a title so you can find them again (2).

At least it is part of the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to select all the objects on the canvas, you can use the Select All (Ctrl/Cmd-A) command. If you want to select objects only on the active artboard (if you are working on multiple artboards), you can use Alt/Opt+Ctrl/Cmd+A) command.

If you are worried that you will accidentally move object(s) by selecting them on the canvas, then instead of clicking on the object(s), you can marquee drag with the black arrow Selection tool/Lasso tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reinterate, I really don't work by selecting things off of the canvas. I've had instances in the past where I was zoomed in, and in moving something, didn't realize I was unintentionally moving something else. Same with deleting something, it could be grouped to something outside of my view.

I prefer to select off of the layers palette. That way I can see what is grouped with what, and what effect is applied to the sublayer or layer that could affect what I'm grouping. I feel it's the more informative way to see how the art was created.

So back to my original request...is there a way to select objects, using the layers palette, from first object...scroll down...select object number 25...and have Illustrator select all objects between object on sublayer #1 to sublayer #25?

I really wish there were if this is not currently possible. Is there a way to request that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katrina,

I really wish there were if this is not currently possible. Is there a way to request that?

There is this way: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I did just that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Katrina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know about selecting layers by first/last, but to select multiple consecutive layers in the layers palette.....

Option-click (Mac) on a layer to highlight it and, with the option key still pressed, drag down the list--DO NOT click-drag on the target icons as logic would tell you.  As you drag down the layer list, the target icons will become selected.

Shift-Option-click allows you to skip layers and continue selecting additional consecutive layers on down the palette.

Note:  Drag slowly or some layers will not select.

Strange, I know.  It took me years to stumble upon this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! THAT'S what I've been trying to do! I appreciate your help!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines