• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is mapping colours on a colour wheel incorrect?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use Illustrator 'edit colour' to analyse colours of artwork for the purpose of an essay for my uni. I encountered some problems. Unless I misunderstand something obvious, the mapping of colours from the artwork onto the colour wheel from the 'edit colour' dialogue is incorrect.

For example, this brown colour has 15.45 degrees for Hue. (Right side of the image below) .This puts it in the tertiary colour group right at the edge of Primary colour group of Red. (Left side of the image) However, Illustrator displays it as being in the centre of the tertiary colour group, or I'd say around 30 degrees. 

Why is it so?

group 1.PNG

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that for some reason in Illustrator the direction of 0-360 degrees of hues in the colour wheel in 'edit colour' dialogue is counterclockwise. So Pink is on the right side of red. For clarity sake in my essay (left side), I mirror it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more example. Colour at 30 degrees displays correctly whilst colour at 60 degrees

group 2.PNGgroup 3.PNGnot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mistake. I meant 30 is incorrect. It should be in the center of the pie-slice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Illustrator color is not pure mathematics.

Color management plays its role there as well and might throw your calculations off.

You might try if it works as you want it to when you turn off color management (Emulate Illustrator 6) and then work in an RGB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, it is the same with color management off and working in RGB document color mode.

Plotting 0-360 equally on a circle and assigning color graphics to it should not be difficult. And I don't see why they would design the interface so it does not much 0-360 colour background on the colour wheel.

I think I gave up on using these automatically generated colour wheel previews for my essay and will manually adjust ('by eye') the locations of these circles to match the HSB numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have found what my problem was. I assumed that the distribution of hues on the colour wheel graphic is linear (left colour wheel) and it looks like it is not (right colour wheel)

1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What do you guys think? I tested it and it isn't linear it seems, or I'm missing something again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines