• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a BUILT-IN way to delete all empty layers? (AI 2020)

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Built-in meaning no scripts/plugins that I need to install. Is there an actual option or setting somewhere in cleanup that will automatically target empty layers? Kind of like the option to clean up unused panel items or empty text, etc. Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Sometimes there are environments that do not allow using scripts or plugins. Therefore I think that this requirement is not necessarily beside the point.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no straightforward built-in command to delete all empty layers. You could indeed cobble something together with an action, but probably this is not what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially when it is written by the famous Carlos Canto!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

specially!! hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Actions are ok, but Scripts are a no no??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes there are environments that do not allow using scripts or plugins. Therefore I think that this requirement is not necessarily beside the point.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no straightforward built-in command to delete all empty layers. You could indeed cobble something together with an action, but probably this is not what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! It's a chore constantly checking if something just isn't a feature or if it's buried somewhere so it's it's nice to know what is and isn't there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it less of a chore to delete empty layers manually than having to install a script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution for this was selecting all layers and bring them all to front... all the empty layers will stay at the bottom .. so you can clearly see what should be deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered this problem when using Live Paint on objects from multiple layers.  Since the command moves all the elements from different layers into a single "live paint layer", I can see which layers are empty immediately following command.  Before I start painting, I delete all the empty layers.

This has been my method to maintain some level of control on the hundreds of layers and many empty ones.  Do not have a solution though for later on in the process.... I am going to watch this thread in the hopes that there is a way.

For example, in AutoCAD or Rhino software there is the "Purge" command the deletes empty layers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course not, my friend. We are facing a dinosaur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines