Is there a smart object function like Photoshop?

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, folks,

Usually, I try to work in a non-destructive way always as possible and I found a situation:
-In photoshop when I choose specific typography, I usually convert it to a smart object. So, when I send my photoshop file to another person, I don't need to expand/rasterize those texts, because the smart object can keep it even if the other person doesn't own that specific typography.

-In illustrator we have symbols. That works kind of similar, but not as smart as smart objects from photoshop.

If I send an illustrator file with texts as symbols to another person, the illustrator will still have issues with that specific typography forcing to install those fonts or the original owner to expand all texts.

I know I could send the install file of that typography or I could expand all texts to curves/lines, but since I like to work in a non-destructive way and photoshop can handle this so far so good, I wonder:

-Is there a smart object function like photoshop in Illustrator, so I can keep non-destructive typographies into it without the need to send that typography installation folder with the illustrator file?

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Print and publish, Tools, Type

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021
You can save an AIfile with PDF compatibility and then place that AI file a new AI file (linked, not embedded) This construction works like Photoshops Smart Object. The other person of course can't edit the linked file without having the fonts. Just like in Photoshop.

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save an AIfile with PDF compatibility and then place that AI file a new AI file (linked, not embedded)

This construction works like Photoshops Smart Object. The other person of course can't edit the linked file without having the fonts. Just like in Photoshop.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines