Highlighted

Is there a way to change multiple files simultaneously in Illustrator?

Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try and explain in simple terms...

Every quarter I have a project where I send out a newsletter for about 50 people. I create each individual's file as a seperate AI file, however there is a text portion on each of those files that needs to read the same for all 50 individuals.

Ive been having to open each file and copy and paste the text that needs to read the same... a long and tedious job that I'm sure theres a work-around.

I'm on a mac and I want to know is there a setting in AI that I can create the common text in 1 file and then have it automatically change all the remaining fies? Or is this something Hazel could do? Or do I need a Apple script?

THANK YOU in advance!

I can't THNK YOU enough! 

That was super kind of you to do and it is much appreciated!

Topics

Feature request, How to, Scripting, Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a way to change multiple files simultaneously in Illustrator?

Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try and explain in simple terms...

Every quarter I have a project where I send out a newsletter for about 50 people. I create each individual's file as a seperate AI file, however there is a text portion on each of those files that needs to read the same for all 50 individuals.

Ive been having to open each file and copy and paste the text that needs to read the same... a long and tedious job that I'm sure theres a work-around.

I'm on a mac and I want to know is there a setting in AI that I can create the common text in 1 file and then have it automatically change all the remaining fies? Or is this something Hazel could do? Or do I need a Apple script?

THANK YOU in advance!

I can't THNK YOU enough! 

Topics

Feature request, How to, Scripting, Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds as if you may want to explore dynamic text variables (see Variables palette), but I'm not quite sure as per your description.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went now and opened that palette ... Im not familiar with it at all but maybe?

The individual files have the photo / logo / and contact info for each person but I do a common greeting of a couple paragraphs and that's what remains consistent throughout each individual's file. I hope that makes more sense. These files are later superimposed into another document for print. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this help page. It seems like it would be right for your case.

But think about flipping your logic a bit. Normally you would make a template that had all the common elements, with placeholders (the variables) and put your custom letter text in a .csv file to be later merged to create the 50 separate files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Low-tech version: if your text frame was identical in each of the separate documents, you could save it as a separate AI file and place it on each of the 50 separate pages. Maybe that won't work for your case, but felt I should at least mention it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that sounds close to where i am now ... Im hoping for a more 'Auto' effect as Im changing it every quarter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ola amigo, fiz um script para fazer a tarefa.

var app = documents;
//Aqui você adicionará o texto que será mudado
var procurarTexto = "Texto Padrão";  
//Aqui você adicionará o novo Texto
var textoNovo = "Novo Texto";

for(var i = 0i < app.length; i++){
    for(var x = 0x < app[i].textFrames.length; x++){
        var texto = app[i].textFrames[x];
        if (procurarTexto == texto.contents){
            var novaString = texto.contents.replace(procurarTextotextoNovo);
            texto.contents = novaString;
        }
    }
}

Espero que ajude
😃

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Esqueci de informar como o código funciona, você precisa abrir os arquivos que você deseja fazer as alterações

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't THNK YOU enough! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines