Highlighted

Is there a way to edit individual tiles in a patterned fill?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am new to Illustrator, so apologies if this is an obvious question. I have created a repeating pattern and filled a shape with it. I know how to edit the swatch to alter the pattern, but I wonder if there is a way to edit the individual elements within the filled shape, such as remove/alter some elements at the edges, without altering the rest of the tiles? I can't seem to be able to isolate them from the rest of the pattern, even after expanding and ungrouping. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Myra Ferguson | Adobe Community Professional

Expanding should do it. Are you using the Direct Selection tool to select the part you want?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there a way to edit individual tiles in a patterned fill?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am new to Illustrator, so apologies if this is an obvious question. I have created a repeating pattern and filled a shape with it. I know how to edit the swatch to alter the pattern, but I wonder if there is a way to edit the individual elements within the filled shape, such as remove/alter some elements at the edges, without altering the rest of the tiles? I can't seem to be able to isolate them from the rest of the pattern, even after expanding and ungrouping. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Myra Ferguson | Adobe Community Professional

Expanding should do it. Are you using the Direct Selection tool to select the part you want?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are spot on! I was not in my brightest mode and kept using the wrong tool (for an embarrassing number of hours). I can now edit the fill. Thank you so much for your kind help, Myra!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Myra said, the direct select tool should allow you to gain access to the elements that you are trying to get to. In addition, if you still want to keep it as a pattern, you can click into the pattern and create a copy so that not all tiles will be impacted. If you are expanding and using the direct selection tool, please post a copy of what you are doing, so that we can further troubleshoot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you so much for the additional tip and for being so helpful and patient with newbie questions like mine!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0