Is there a way to keep the Transform Panel option open in the toolbar?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I recently started working with Illustrator CS6, and noticed that the Transform option panel in the top tool bar is listed as a word, which i need to click on in order to access the x/y coordinates and the object height and width values. I was wondering if there was a way to set this toolbar so that these options are locked in the tool bar so that i don't need to always click on the word to expand it out. I have included a screenshot of the tool bar as it exists. Also the align options are set up in this way as well.

Screen Shot 2013-03-19 at 2.44.12 AM.png

I also included a screenshot of the same tools in Indesign to give an idea of what i'm looking for, where everything is expanded out. Screen Shot 2013-03-19 at 2.45.07 AM.png

I believe Illustrator was originally set up in this way in previous versions so i'm not sure why it was changed, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 19, 2013
Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional , Mar 19, 2013
Select Window > TransformDrag it to wherever you need it and just leave it there.

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the Transform palette is for...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

I've been using that method in the meantime, but isn't there a way to lock it to the top toolbar so that it is always accessible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Window > Transform

Drag it to wherever you need it and just leave it there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what the OP wants to know is if there is a way to have CS6 behave the way CS5 did. That is, when there is an object selected on the artboard, the Transform controls appear in the Control Bar. This is just another elegant, efficient thing that Adobe removed from CS6. Sure, you can make an extra click every time you want to use Transform, but why? Sure, you can clutter up your workspace with an extra panel, but why?

Just one of the many reasons I'm sticking with CS5.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using? I'm on a Mac OSX10.6.8. I just tested it on mine in both CS5 and CS6. With an object selected on an artboard, the Transform tools are shown in the Control panel on both.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh you know what? I have my screen resolution set to 1280 x 800 because I'm recording videos. When it's at a higher resolution, I can see the Transform controls. I stand corrected. There does seem to be enough room for them, though, because there's about an inch and a half of gray space up there.  I have lots of things tunred off in the Control Bar options to make room, but still there's still just the word Transform, with empty space to the right of it. (trying to insert an image, but can't get it to load).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this answers my question?! I was just trying to figure out the same thing and it turns out that changing my resolution fixed the problem. Interesting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problem.  Here is the fix - all the way on to the right of the control bar there is a down facing arrow with a list icon on it.  There you can remove an element from the control bar and transform with the x,y,w,h coordinates/sizes become fully visible with no need for additional clicks.  You'll have to decide what you want to remove..I took off graphic styles since this is something I barely use.

see attached imageai_screenshot.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There,

Always wondered what that was for. This helped me out getting shaper properties to show on the menu bar.

Many Thanks,

Dennis...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
rdllngr LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adub47 Thank you! Your answer should be chosen as the best one because it REALLY ANSWERS the question correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the space available and which options you have chosen for the control bar.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines