• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to open .cdr (corel draw) files in illustrator?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have just downloaded the latest illustrator because I understood it would open .cdr files but when I try illustrator gives me the message that the file is an unknown format and connot be opened...

does anyone know a way around this apart from buying corel again 😞

TOPICS
Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Hi, the best way to solve your problem is to open CorelDraw files in CorelDraw, then export them as an Adobe Illustrator files.

Adobe illustrator can open CorelDraw files from version 5 to version 10 only.

some times we need to install programs that we don't use just to finalize our work process in an efficient way.

I wish my answer was helpful.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. Just did it!

Thanks to Monika Gause! 🙂

Try this:

https://cloudconvert.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked so well! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked --- Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the best way to solve your problem is to open CorelDraw files in CorelDraw, then export them as an Adobe Illustrator files.

Adobe illustrator can open CorelDraw files from version 5 to version 10 only.

some times we need to install programs that we don't use just to finalize our work process in an efficient way.

I wish my answer was helpful.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to do the same as the software says it will open Corel draw files, but am getting the same error messages.
Has anyone found a real solution?
Going back in to Corel and saving as AI isn't an option as I no longer have access to the software, but have a lot of files created with Corel.
If illustrator can't actually open the Corel files as it states then it's a false claim...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator can open CDR files up to version 10.

This is the offical list: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/supported-file-formats-illustrator.html

It clearly mentions the versions supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

If that is the case how?
I get error messages and it doesn't work.
As noted above, others get the same message and it doesn't work.
It claims it can in a blurb of supported file formats , but the reality so far has been that it can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have CDR files version 10 and they don't open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

They are from Version X8 Coreldraw suite., which I am guessing is earlier than V10.

I'll try using the converter mentioned above, but am disappointed that I can't directly import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 10 is about 20 years ago. X8 is newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Please confirm that CorelDRAW X6 files can be opened with Adobe Illustrator without any conversion step in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import up to version 10, which is 20 years old. And that's that.

You cannot import X6. But X6 can export AI files. If your clients send you CorelDRAW files, then you will need to have CorelDRAW yourself if you want to keep their business. That's just professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can buy CorelDraw  (719 EURO) and use it for opening cdr files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can open CDR files in LibreOffice Draw
thow some item will not load correctly i still use this when in a pinch
the wors part about this is corel can open illustrator documents and photoshop document with easy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because Adobe isn't interested in making your life easier, they just care about money. Heck, Adobe programs themselves can't handle other Adobe file extensions. Why would they bother to support CDR files? Corel on the other hand, opens and saves in just about anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want Illustrator to be able to open CDR files, then put a feature request on Uservoice. And then try and find other to support your request.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com  <- that's where the developers read. If it's not up there, then they don't even know how many people would like to have this.

It's simple: There is a fixed amount of mney and there is a fixed number of people that can only produce so many features. If there is demand for more features than what they can do is either: leave out the ones that only few people want or hire more people and raise the subscription cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So adobe asking me to by corel Draw to open .cdr file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forum is 95% not Adobe staff. Staff is marked as such and I see nobody in this thread marked as "Adobe staff". You are getting advice from volunteers.

Since Illustrator cannot open your file for you, you now have 4 options:

- leave the file alone

- get CorelDRAW

- ask the other person to send you an AI file instead (CorelDRAW can export that)

- ask for an EPS or PDF (which might cause more trouble with editing)

Since file conversion will almost always cause trouble (make something ineditable, delete something, change something - especially text), a conversion is alomst always only the second best solution.

If this about a collaboration on that file (sending back and forth), you want to use the same application as your collaborator.

If you don't know exactly how this file is supposed to look like, you need to open it in CorelDRAW, because any conversion will cause changes that you are unable to notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use libre draw to open CDR files and save them as EPS files
libre draw is free to use
you may lose some capabilities but at least you can get most of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today it is not possible. i have tried so many times. but could not succeed.

if you wanted to import corel file. You must need corel exported EPS or pdf for illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As has been said already several times, Illustrator can open CDR files up to version 10. This article shows Corel versions by release date. CorelDRAW - Wikipedia

Version 10 was released in 1999.

Version "X8" is really version 18.

Version "2023" is really version 25.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines