• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Isometric Spiral staircase

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi does anyone know how to make a spiral staircase in Illustrator, in isometric view/perspective - many thanks

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

I made that overly complex. You don't need the 3D effect or symbols.

All you need is the shape on the left.

Group it and use an isometric transformation on it (I use the one shown in the actions panel).

Split the 'stairs' into individual shapes with shape builder.

Transform them vertically one at a time, creating copies, as you go round the spiral.

For example: Move the first 30px, the second 60px, the third 90px etc.

Screenshot 2021-04-22 154707.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

I rotated a line around the centre point, but you could get something similar with the polar grid:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 160750.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

I have a bit more time now so I'll do it step by step:

1. Create your base with the polar grid tool

Spiral1.png

2. Ungroup it. Use shape builder -- click on each 'stair' to make it into a separate shape:

Spiral2.png

3. Delete the centre (or keep it as your future 'pole'). Give the remaining shapes a fill. They should be separate like so (but don't actually move them -- this is just for show):

Spiral3.png

4. Group it again, and use an isometric transformation on the group. This one rotates 45 degrees and then scales vertically

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Apologies, I see the issue with polar grid. Shape builder can be finnicky with circles. Try turning on Gap detection (double-click the tool for options):

Gaps.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - many thanks for your reply. Does the result end up as an isometric view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the perspective grid you can't produce isometric views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Monika - Isometric is a must!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned perspective in your initial post, so I got the impression it's an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kaye,

I agree with Monika: taken at face value, your original post can only be interpreted as

in isometric view/perspective = in isometric view or in perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be my first thought:

Create a circle and use 3D > Extrude & Bevel, Isometric Top, and whatever extrude depth you need.

Create two lines (actually shapes with vertical ends, so they coincide when it repeats). Make them into a symbol.

Map the symbol to the 3D effect. Stretch to fit.

Create a circle with spokes at the base of your 3D effect.

Alt-drag each spoke up in turn so that it coincides with the spiral.

Carry on drawing from there.

Screenshot 2021-04-22 150321.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi many thanks for your reply...got a little lost from step 4...

1 Create a circle and use 3D > Extrude & Bevel, Isometric Top, and whatever extrude depth you need (done this)

2 Create two lines (actually shapes with vertical ends, so they coincide when it repeats)  (think I did this right)

3 Make them into a symbol (did this)

4 Map the symbol to the 3D effect. Stretch to fit. (got lost from here)

5 Create a circle with spokes at the base of your 3D effect.

6 Alt-drag each spoke up in turn so that it coincides with the spiral.

7 Carry on drawing from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

 Sorry should have posted beforehand - need to create something like this in isometrc view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made that overly complex. You don't need the 3D effect or symbols.

All you need is the shape on the left.

Group it and use an isometric transformation on it (I use the one shown in the actions panel).

Split the 'stairs' into individual shapes with shape builder.

Transform them vertically one at a time, creating copies, as you go round the spiral.

For example: Move the first 30px, the second 60px, the third 90px etc.

Screenshot 2021-04-22 154707.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi many thanks for this getting a little closer to what I am after. Can you explain how did you make the shape on the left? Have tried using polar grid but it does not look anything like yours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rotated a line around the centre point, but you could get something similar with the polar grid:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 160750.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - managed to get the shape however shape is not "whole" - still individual lines!!! Also do you mean pathfinder? Shape builder only adds or subtract whole shapes (but not lines), however pathfinder can divide whole shapes but not lines. Also, going back to your instructions and spiral, your stairs seem to "rotate" around the pole but there's no "rotate" in the instructions above. Am I missing something? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the object and click with shape builder on the 'stairs', it'll create shapes from them.

You don't need to rotate anything -- if you view a spiral staircase from a plan view, it'll look like that shape. That's all you need to create an isometric version. Some stairs are simply in front of or behind the central pole as appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17.00.32.png

 Hi - it's been a long day! Just can't seem to get your technique to work (I'm really sorry). Inbetween replies was playing with transform effect!

It looks like an option for me however only got this far by sliding and changing numbers not quite sure what I am doing/ how it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bit more time now so I'll do it step by step:

1. Create your base with the polar grid tool

Spiral1.png

2. Ungroup it. Use shape builder -- click on each 'stair' to make it into a separate shape:

Spiral2.png

3. Delete the centre (or keep it as your future 'pole'). Give the remaining shapes a fill. They should be separate like so (but don't actually move them -- this is just for show):

Spiral3.png

4. Group it again, and use an isometric transformation on the group. This one rotates 45 degrees and then scales vertically 57.74%. Use Object > Transform to do this. Once done, ungroup again.

Spiral4.png

5. Here I've given the shapes another fill, put it below the first, and used a transform effect to move it down slightly. This is to make them more visible for this demo. If you're drawing this properly, you'll want to extrude them yourself -- but that's on you I'm afraid.

Spiral5.png

6. Start wherever you want and go around the objects moving each some arbitrary amount vertically. Here I've used 30px, which works at the scale of my drawing.

Spiral6.png

7. Move the first 30px, the second 60px, the third 90px and so on. Use the copy button so you don't run out of shapes.

Spiral7.png

8. You could probably make the pole first, but I forgot. It could be an ellipse with Effect > 3D > Extrude and bevel, but do it however you like. Bring forward/move backward each stair relative to the pole/each other as appropriate.

Spiral8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - This is what my step two looks like! I have created the polar grid with and without a fill and this is what I get each time - I'm unable to make each stair separate

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17.32.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your efforts everyone (especially Doug). I am familiar shapebuilder but it does not work for me the way described. I'll try again with fresh eyes at the weekend. thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I see the issue with polar grid. Shape builder can be finnicky with circles. Try turning on Gap detection (double-click the tool for options):

Gaps.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Doug - will let you know when I've cracked it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, hopefully the guys who are supposed to walk down your (first) corkscrew stairs won't have one over the eight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaye, everyone,

Curiously, all the staircases shown so far, except for the latest one by Doug, are Kerr (or Ker) style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines