• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with times new roman font on pdf import

Enthusiast ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This font has taken over times new roman (regular) in my Adobe Illustrator when I choose times new roman.

However, in Microsoft word, times new roman functions totally fine. 

I am attaching the pdf document that I downloaded from the internet. Times new roman gets messed up when I import it in Illustrator. I want the pdf to have editable text instead of outline. 

Here's the pdf file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/isq9lwjsxus7xsg/ce2019%20_%20forums.pdf?dl=0

ugly font.jpegScreenshot (363).png

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor and PDF was never meant for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try Type > Find Font... and replace the substituted fonts by Times Roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I immediately did after I posted. Forgot to update in the original post. Can you please test the pdf in your system ?

I'd know whether it's my laptop that's troubling or the document is bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open that PDF without issues in CC 2017 as well as in version 2020. Have tested just the 1st page.

Text is separated in a gazillion of text objects of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton for testing! Can you upload the illustrator as a package please? I will replace the times new roman font in my system from your uploaded package. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time for uploading. Unfortunately, there are no fonts in the zip package. I'm getting the same errors in the pdf you uploaded. 

Sharing the report generated in your pdf. It was in German. I copy pasted from Google Translate. 

Does the pdf import fine on your PC ? Don't the fonts go haywire as shown in my screenshot?

Times # 20New # 20Roman is the culprit I believe as in the report that you generated, it says that it's missing on your machine. When I check the pdf in Adobe Acrobat, it doesn't mention such font in the document properties. 

packaging report

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
Document:
Name: PDF.ai
Color mode: RGB color
Color profile: Without
Ruler unit: millimeters
Drawing area: 210.058 mm x 296.926 mm
Show images in path view: OFF
Highlight replaced fonts: OFF
Highlight replaced symbols: OFF
Maintain text editability
Simulate colored paper: OFF

Solid-color objects:

Missing fonts:
Cambria (not installed)
Times # 20New # 20Roman (not installed)
Times # 20New # 20Roman, Italic (not installed)
Calibri (not installed)
Times # 20New # 20Roman, Bold (not installed)

Protected fonts that have not been packaged: WITHOUT

fonts:
Myriad Pro (OTF)
Arial (OTF)
Arial Italic (OTF)
Icon (TrueType)
Times New Roman (OTF)
Times New Roman Italic (OTF)
Times New Roman Bold (OTF)
Times New Roman Bold Italic (OTF)

Embedded fonts:
WITHOUT

Missing links:
WITHOUT

Linked images:
WITHOUT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to manually match the missing fonts with a similar font on your system.

A font can be flagged missing because the font on your machine has a slightly different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted the fonts from the package, because it would be a violation of copyright to make them available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message seems to say the opposite of what you suggest. It says you haven't got Times#20New#20Roman,Bold. This is not surprising, this mangled name exists only inside a PDF, it is no real font. The message says your default font will be used. So the problem surely is that your default font is this weird thing. So, nobody else is going to see this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which default font is your machine using for Times#20New#20Roman,Bold when you import the pdf ?   Please share a screenshot. 

How can I change the default font that Illustrator uses automatically for replacement? Of course, I can manually do it by going to the type menu, then finding the replacement. Is there a default setting that I can change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tested your file, just read your message. This all seems normal. You import the PDF, and then you fix the font if needed. The Find Fonts button may help since you surely have a Times font of some kind.

I also refer you to a message you did not acknowledge, and emphasise this point: "Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor and PDF was never meant for editing."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, well this is the exact same problem I am facing now. I have a PDF document with heavy text, tables, and formulas. No way in this world can I manually choose the missing Times Font and replace it! I still haven't got the answer to this. In case you have, will be grateful if you can post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to repeat the answer once more, though nobody wants to believe it... "Illustrator is not a general purpose PDF editor and PDF was never meant for editing."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines