Highlighted

Issues opening file created on old MBP/Mojave

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded the MacBook Pro. The old MBP was running the latest Mojave OS and using Adobe CC. Instead of cloning the old device I decided to start fresh and bring files over manually. New machine is running Catalina and a new install of Adobe CC .

Everything appeared to transfer fine, but when I opened my latest working file (Illustrator) not all the text appeared in the file. In the layers panel it shows there is a text layer and text info (layer name) is still there accurately. However, on the artboard the text is showing as just a single anchor point, and nothing to select in order to edit. There does not seem to be any pattern to the text items that are not displaying. I have text on two different layers that are randomly missing text, some showing just fine, some not.

Anyone have any issues similar to this? 

Want to know if I should expect more issues like this as I begin to open any files I created on my old machine. It's adding considerable time to the workflow.

Thanks

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Issues opening file created on old MBP/Mojave

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded the MacBook Pro. The old MBP was running the latest Mojave OS and using Adobe CC. Instead of cloning the old device I decided to start fresh and bring files over manually. New machine is running Catalina and a new install of Adobe CC .

Everything appeared to transfer fine, but when I opened my latest working file (Illustrator) not all the text appeared in the file. In the layers panel it shows there is a text layer and text info (layer name) is still there accurately. However, on the artboard the text is showing as just a single anchor point, and nothing to select in order to edit. There does not seem to be any pattern to the text items that are not displaying. I have text on two different layers that are randomly missing text, some showing just fine, some not.

Anyone have any issues similar to this? 

Want to know if I should expect more issues like this as I begin to open any files I created on my old machine. It's adding considerable time to the workflow.

Thanks

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the font installed in the system?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, fonts are installed. File has 2 fonts, multiple weights used. Some of the text doesn't have any problem. It loaded and is editable. Others have disappeared, reduced to an anchor point, although according to the layers the text layer is there. I attached Outline View screenshots.

Colors: I have 3 text text lines selected on left (green), in the layers panel it shows the text that should "be there", but it's only showing anchor points. The text is using Open Sans Regular which shows fine on the right side of the screen... 

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.03.09 PM.png

In the below screenshot, a different font was used, text layer shows what it says, but only an anchor point. Quicksand Bold displays in other parts of the document with no issue. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.01.32 PM.png

It's the strangest thing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the file in Acrobat, does it look OK?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, getting the same result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have an earlier version of the file in Time Machine on the old computer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do they work in the new version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines