Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues saturating colors in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am trying to modify the saturation of different objects (PathItem) in a PDF. I found the "Edit --> Edit Colors --> Saturate" function and the result is pretty much what I am looking for. However, I don't understand how this functions works. If I check an object before and after applying saturation of 40% I get these results:

Before Saturating:

Color1.png

After Saturating:

AfterSaturate.png

As you can see the hue goes up by one degree and saturation by 8%. I am assuming that the saturation is calculated as New Saturation = Old Saturation * (1 + 0.4). But why is the hue also changing? 

I want to better understand how this functions so that I can automate the process of saturating objects. I already have a script up and running which saturates fine but it leaves the hue the same, and I would ideally want to replicate the behavior of this illustrator function.

Essentially what I am looking to do is "intensify" the colors. My PDF designs are printed on steel products and the light pink and light grey tones are not very visible. I thought saturation might do the trick but it seems to be a little tougher than I had imagined. For example, the light grey color has an initial saturation of 1% so saturating it another 40% still leaves it just above 1%. If anyone has any better idea on how I might "intensify" the colors that would be superb.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?