Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Joining gaps in lines so I can colour fill

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am quite new to illustrator and probably have a bit of a rookie question, but I am lost. I have a series of lines which represent interpretations of lava flow contacts. I have exported these lines as PNG files and uploaded it to Illustrator. However, for some reason there are a bunch of gaps in the lines (associated with the interpretation program) which I want to join so I can colour fill each layer in a different colour. I have traced the image and subsequently expanded it, so all the paths show. I then tried to use the live paint bucket function so I can fill the layers with help from the gap function. This works for some, but not the larger gaps. I then opened a new page and tried to use the blob brush tool to connect the gaps, however when I try to trace and then expand the image illustrator does not recognise that the lines are now joined and shows the paths the same as if I had not used the brush. I was wondering if there was a way I can join the paths so that the selection tool recognises each layer so I can individually fill them?

See pictures below for context.Ill_1.PNGIll_2.PNGIll_3.PNGIll_4.PNG

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Merge Live Paint is probably the solution.

Similar to add no fill/no stroke lines to fill up gaps.

shading.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merge Live Paint is probably the solution.

Similar to add no fill/no stroke lines to fill up gaps.

shading.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying! For clarity, I would select Live paint > Make, then use the pen tool to draw a line within the gap. Then select all the lines I would like to group and click merge to group these lines into a group which I can then fill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines