• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JSX: Printing doc with print options, then saving without closing causing file to become corrupt

Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following snippet. Assume "thePrinter" sets the print preset name. If my client opens the doc and prints it using these options, then close it without saving changes, it prints OK, but when they go to reopen the file, they get an alert saying "The file *name* is an unsupported format and can't be opened. If I run the same snippet, but without printing, it works fine. So the issue is either in the print preset, or with how their file system is treating files. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

if (i == thePrinterNum) {
                var thePrinter = getPrinter();
                pOptions.printPreset = thePrinter;
                pOptions.jobOptions = jbOptions;
            }

doc = app.open(File(pathStr + theImage), DocumentColorSpace.RGB);

jbOptions.file = doc.fullName;

userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DONTDISPLAYALERTS;
            for (var c = 0; c < numPrints; c++) {
                doc.print(pOptions);
            }
            userInteractionLevel = storeUserInteract;

} catch(e) {
            alert("Could not print " + theImage);
        } finally {
            if (doc) {
                doc.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);
            }
        }

TOPICS
Print and publish , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some further testing with the client. I disabled calling the printOptions from doc.print(), and just using the default print option. In doing so, the file did not get corrupted. So, is there something that could be happening when the doc is being printed that would do this?  Again, I am not saving the original doc after printing, so I have no idea why it would be getting corrputed. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While we're waiting for someone who knows more, I'll ask a few questions if you don't mind.

Can you reproduce the issue yourself? Or does it only affect your client? Is it possibly a meta-data issue? Maybe that gets written automatically? Could you try saving the uncorrupted document as .ai with no compression, and compare it with the corrupted file using a file comparison tool? It would be interesting if the file content changed even though you didn't explicitly save it.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines