• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just bought adobe Illustrator. Most of my tools are greyed out.

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought adobe Illustrator. Most of my tools are greyed out. I cannot find any way to activate these tools, its as if its stuck in preview mode. In fact, the page title says CMYK/preview. How do I fix this? I have access to the very basic tools, but none others, like the elipse tool.

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Rectangle Tool available and, if so, what happens when you click and hold on it?

Could you please provide a screenshot that shows the greyed-out tools, and insert it in your reply?

tromboniator_0-1609226775122.png

Preview mode is the predominant way to view what is going on in your document, and it shows every visible attribute that you place in it, create, or apply to it. It is not some lesser, inferior state that it would be a drawback to be stuck in. The only alternative is to be in Outline mode, which shows only paths, with no fills, strokes, effects, linked or embedded raster images. You can toggle between these two states in the View menu, or by pressing cmd/ctrl+Y.

Peter

Edit: Strictly speaking, there are a few more view options, but my point about Preview mode is still valid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

To access the additional Tools it is a case of using the shortcuts Ellipse Tool is L, Line Segment Tool is \ ...Screenshot 2020-12-29 at 11.04.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Phillip,

CMYK/preview mode is good, and confirming you are not in outline mode (a black and white preview showing the outlines construction of your objects, but not how will finally print).

Please post a screenshot.

Your tools will look something like this, depending on what workspace you have chosen.

You can click and hold on the rectangle tool to get to the other tools or use the keyboard shortcut of L to switch to elipse.

MikeGondek_0-1609268354982.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines