• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Kerning Characters moves the whole word

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking a class on Illustrator. The exercise calls for aligning text to center. Then adjusting the kerning of a one word line of text, so as to fit the one word between the margins with no space. Kerning the left margin produces no visible effect. The kerning the right margin moves the whole word. It is not kerning the point of insertion, instead it moves the entire line of text. How do I fix this?

Kerning the left margin.png

 

Kerning the right margin.png

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ] 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Hi

I would like to see the images

You are using Kerning no tracking right?

You are clicking between to letters?

your text paragraph is aligned to the center right?

LMK

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

If I understand correctly, all text is aligned center. If you then kern from the right, it does make sense that the whole word moves because kerning either adds or subtacts spacing between letters to make them visually appealing. Here you are adding space at the end and that will move the whole word, just as when you move two letters closer, the letters will move closer but the letters that follow will also move to maintain their orginal spacing. If your kerning on the left side is not working,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I would like to see the images

You are using Kerning no tracking right?

You are clicking between to letters?

your text paragraph is aligned to the center right?

LMK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windsor Pixel,

In addition to what Eugenio said, you can see more about kerning and other Type related matters (and whatnot) here,

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=kerning+illustrator&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subscope=%...

You can make an empty search page to Bookmark for easy use and just insert the desired term,

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=&scope=%5B%22helpx%22%5D&subscope=%5B%5D&limit=10&star...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I understand correctly, all text is aligned center. If you then kern from the right, it does make sense that the whole word moves because kerning either adds or subtacts spacing between letters to make them visually appealing. Here you are adding space at the end and that will move the whole word, just as when you move two letters closer, the letters will move closer but the letters that follow will also move to maintain their orginal spacing. If your kerning on the left side is not working, perhaps you are using the wrong arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines