• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcut - hotkey - to change stroke weight

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a keyboard shortcut to change stroke weight? Increase and decrease.

If there isn't , then maybe someone could help me to write a script or something else, to make this hotkey.

I found this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1274603#1274603 but the link to script is dead.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could copy and past the path to the sie in a URLfield

bu here it is again

http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/en/skripte/javascript/str%20oke_plu

BTW select the stroke click in the stroke weight field in the control panel or the stroke panel, control panel is easiest, and
hit the arrow key up or down to increase and decrease he weight in small amounts and hit the those keys while holding down the option shift (Mac) or alt shift keys (PC) for greater increments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the URL or your link, Wade?

I don't read German, but I think the original content is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a little typo in the URL Wade has provided. Try this one instead:

Stroke Plus

Remember that this is a rather old script. Not sure if it does work in the latest versions of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This script changes the weight of a selected object. But I had something else in mind. What I need is a way to change the weight of a stroke, while painting with Brush, with nothing selected.

I know that I can click on the stroke palette or on upper menu toolbar and change stroke from there, either by using arrows or typing. And this is exactly what I would like to make a shortcut for: press a shortcut key instead of clicking on the toolbar, and increase/decrease the weight to the next value. So that, the right hand is painting and the left hand is changing stroke weight. No additional clicking on toolbar.

And it is not about dynamic stroke weight depending on the pen pressure - I already tested it and it's not what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible to change stroke weight the way you want.

You can :

- assign uniform strokes and change their weight with the script

- draw brush strokes (calligraphy) change with pressure

- change stroke weight after drawing with the width tool in CS5

- change stroke weight of some tools before drawing by using keystrokes (e.g. blob brush)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand your request correctly, you are looking to change the brush size as you are drawing with the brush tool. There is a built-in hotkey for that: "[" and "]", the same as the Photoshop hotkeys. I probably just misinterpreted your question because i'm sure the others would have posted this answer long ago, but in case that was it, I thought I'd speak up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scanario is like this: there are plenty of e.g. circles on the artboard. I want to make all these circles to have one of 3 strokes: 1px green, 3px green and 5px green, semi randomly. If there was a shortcut assigned to those strokes, I could very quickly paint the circles. Click the circle with right hand and press the shortcut with left hand and it makes the circle stroke 1px green, and so on. Much faster than click the circle and then choose the stroke weight. The same could be used for painting fill. Symbolism would be a good alternative if it could place the symbols exactly in specific places, but as I know this tool, it just sprays randomly and then shifting to specific places is not exactly possible (e.g. put all symbols precisely in a row).

[Edit] Ah, it was so long ago that I forgot the original purpose. But now I recall, that the purpose was to draw hair. So I wanted to assign not only stroke weight but also color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a good candidate for a little scripting. Either using a JSFL plugin or using scriptographer ( http://scriptographer.org/ ). Take a look through scriptographer's plugins to see whether something like this hasn't already been created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2011 May 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try this script:

http://www.ogebab.de/home/skripte/edc/kontur

it scales stroke weight relatively

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kurt!

Aha. I see the unwanted space between 'r' and 'o' in your original post, referred to by the OP.

You see, Kurt, it was your fault all along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not true, if you will pardon my saying so, Harron.

Actually, it was a side effect caused by the forum conversion. Jive somehow frazzled the former well-oiled links, for whatever reason.

You see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it was a side effect caused by the forum conversion. Jive somehow frazzled the former well-oiled links, for whatever reason.

I assumed that was the case, Kurt. It would not be like you to make an error of that kind. Please forgive my inability to resist an opportunity for levity.

I was, maybe sillily, assuming that no time space discontinuity had caused a reversal, or something stranger.

Thanks for the explanation, Jacob. You really need to get a life.

(I, too.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is gold

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harron is almost right:

It says: this theme does not exist yet (with the option/suggestion ofestablishing it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harron,

Huh?

Your post:

I don't read German, but I think the original content is gone.

My post:

It says: this theme does not exist yet (with the option/suggestion of establishing it).

I was, maybe sillily, assuming that no time space discontinuity had caused a reversal, or something stranger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this feature STILL not built into AI CS6? Photoshop has had a simple keyboard shortcut for changing brush/stroke width for YEARS. Don't these software teams talk to each other? I'd also like to see the "scrub" feature Photoshop has, for changing numeric settings. Dragging across the "name" of the option, adjusts up or down. Why this is not in AI, I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't have a stroke feature that you can change with a hotkey.

But anyway, unfortunately Illustrator doesn't have such hotkey either.  As already suggested try the workaround with the up/down arrows on your keyboard when the focus is in the stroke field

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't have a stroke feature that you can change with a hotkey.

Assuming we're talking about brush widths in Photoshop, of course, that has been available in Photoshop for many years.

Also, you can assign your own shortcuts to change brush widths in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Gold wrote:...

Assuming we're talking about brush widths in Photoshop, of course, that has been available in Photoshop for many years.

It is available In Illustrator too. The selected or new calligraphic and bristle brushes are also affected by the [ and ] keys when the brush tool is selected. And like in Photoshop this doesn't affect the diameter of the brush preset or the stroke width which is available only in Illustrator. However unfortunately this doesn't work with the other kind of brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with that feature. What is the [and] key? Are you referring to the "&" key? How do I make it affect the brush settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the square brackets keys on your keyboard

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-CcIegUhXb7rH6DMKGCfOTQGdqXv3sMvJNOp5uKcdFxqKGNodfQ

It is the same keys used for changing the brush size in Photoshop. Select a path with a calligraphic or bristle brush, make sure the Brush Tool is the current tool and use these keys. If you have nothing selected, it affects the next brush strokes you will make if you don't select a brush preset in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yes, I use that every day.

I wonder why that only works with calligraphic and bristle brushes. Why not other brushes, such as art brushes? I don't understand the difference or the limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines