• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts not working in Illustrator CC for Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a lot of problems using keyboard shortcuts in Illustrator CC for Mac. They'll will work intermittently. No keyboard issues anywhere else. Is this a bug, or something I can remedy on my end?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

@colling_s which mouse are you using?  is it the Apple magic mouse. maybe it starts to listen for keypresses to enable some additional features.

Not sure if it is the same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5221035?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Had that same issue for months. Using a 2022 Mac Studio, Monterey 12.6, CC2022.

Try quiting/restarting Safari.

Seems Safari is conflicting somehow. Hopefully there is an update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are there just a few keys?

firefox tends to cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be anything related to the CMD key. Don't run Firefox, but could Chrome also play a part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me once i closed firefox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue; typical keyboard shortcuts, especially those which don't require modifier keys, are failing to register intermittently. Tools like Rotate, Direct Selection, and even regular old Selection are not being selected when hitting their default keyboard shortcut.

I'm running Illustrator v17.0.0 and OS X 10.8.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click in Finder window then in the application frame, seems to be issue of focus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right, Anish. While your suggestion doesn't work every time, it seems to… eventually. How do we now bring this to the Illustrator team's attention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that a background application at OS level is taking the focus out of Illustrator. Does the Illustrator window get inactive when your keyboard stops responding? Try reducing the number of startup items for the current account. Also try from within a new administrator account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. When I work, exactly as I did previous to CC, keyboard shortcuts don't always work. For example, hitting the A key to switch between the Selection and Direct Selection tools. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Illustrator CC. My keyboard doesn't work reliably, even with something as simple as moving an object to the left or right with the arrow keys. Another example is the toolbar keyboard shortcuts aren't working (v for black arrow, t for type tool, z for zoom). I've tried quiting all other programs, but nothing is helping. This seems like a serious bug that makes my workflow impossible. I hope Illustrator fixes it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having worked with (around? in spite of?) this bug for three weeks now, I think it's probably not a focus issue. The Illustrator window does not become inactive, and the bug persists even when there are a limited number of other applications running (haven't tried with a new admin account because TME CBF). Clicking in or out of the Illustrator window does not do anything to resolve the issue.

Temporary fixes involve hitting ESC, right-clicking and getting the Illustrator drop down menu, alt-tabbing, or bashing the keyboard harder and harder until it breaks. There appears to be no regularity in the bug—it's truly intermittent. Unlikely to go longer than 5mins without hitting it, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way around this, that I found, is saving as CS6, and working in CS6. I feared stuff like this happening when they released the Cloud model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per other posters' suggestions, I switched from my wireless mouse (Apple bluetooth) to a USB-stick one. This seems to have resolved the keyboard problems I was having. Weird, but working, for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried another admin account and it works perfectly under that user. How do I get it to work under mine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to kick this can along the road. Having the same issue on my machine. No problems in CS6 apps.

Selecting the same commands from the menu works fine. In fact, after doing so the keyboard commands appear to work for a couple more times, then stop doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem and it is really infuriating at times... I just switched from CS6 where I encountered no such problems.

It seems that it usually happens when I switch to Finder or another application and back (altough it may only be Finder). The Illustrator window is still active because I can see Illustrator reacting when I press only CMD or ALT. However all keyboard shortcuts just stop working, for instance CMD+S, or V or any other toolbar shortcuts. To fix it I have to do a mouse click on a tool or menu command or something, and the shortcuts are back for a while...

I am also running Illustrator v.17.0.0 and OS X 10.8.4 on a macbook Pro connected to a Thunderbolt Display and bluetooth mouse/keyboard.

I sure hope this is picked up by Adobe soon, it is really messing with my workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue. I might give the "focus" solution a try, but I agree with the other users- this was never an issue before CC. It began happening the day I switched to CS6. I thought at first it was my keyboard batteries, but then realized my keyboard worked fine in all other applications. I'm running 10.7.5.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue too, notably with single key shortcuts to tools as well as those involving modifier keys. I'm running Illustrator 17.0.0 and Mac OS X 10.8.3.

I have a useful little app called Better Touch Tool (BTT) running to give me system wide and app specific customisable shortcuts for all my peripherals. Following PrintFusion 45's advice, I went into BTT preferences and disabled the service completely for Adobe Illustrator.

Ever since then (admittedly only a couple of hours) Illustrator has been problem free. Just thought I'd post in case that's helpful for anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just observed something that might lead us to an answer for the strange keyboard shortcut issue in the new Illustrator CC. The batteries in my Magic Mouse died, and rather than than walking all the way across the room to get new ones, I just plugged in my old (non-wireless) mouse. I haven't had any problems since. Maybe the Illustrator CC is "confused" by the Magic Mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting observation, thanks for sharing!

But in any case there is definitely a bug here, and it's certainly driving me (and others it seems) mad.

Hopefully this is something Adobe addresses quickly! It can't be that hard...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue with my keyboard not working at all when within Dreamweaver CC 2017 running on iMac OSX 10.12.6.

Oh, and Adobe never addresses issues quickly!  I mean, this thread was started in 2013 and I still run across the hotkey issue in Illustrator CC 2017.  That's what happens when a company holds a monopoly in the creative application industry.  The only thing they keep updating regularly is Adobe XD because they realized they had gotten behind in regards to prototyping and Sketch was taking up a huge market share.

With that said, I hope I'm wrong and Adobe does fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds as though you have an interferring app installed. Does it work if you turn off all your other apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I ended up here after searching for the reason why my zoom and pan shortcuts stopped working in both AI & PS. After reading about the Apple mouse issue, I took a look at my System Prefs and sure enough, the mouse power was down to 10%. I believe this is the culprit. My wacom tablet works fine. If charging the mouse doesn't fix the problem I'll let you know. UPDATE - Charging the mouse solved the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem since CS3.

There have been various fixes proposed but Adobe has not addressed the problem in any version updates.

I used to be able to quit one or more of the big three (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and it would fix the problems. Now, relaunching sometimes works but it always seems to stop working eventually.

I have not experienced any issues with specific hardware, just the apps.

My main key command that stops working is zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been having the same problem, it seems to just occur out of nowhere...One click the command works, the next command doesn't. Is there a way to disable the command button from the "last tool used" function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines