• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts not working in Illustrator CC for Mac

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a lot of problems using keyboard shortcuts in Illustrator CC for Mac. They'll will work intermittently. No keyboard issues anywhere else. Is this a bug, or something I can remedy on my end?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

@colling_s which mouse are you using?  is it the Apple magic mouse. maybe it starts to listen for keypresses to enable some additional features.

Not sure if it is the same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5221035?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Had that same issue for months. Using a 2022 Mac Studio, Monterey 12.6, CC2022.

Try quiting/restarting Safari.

Seems Safari is conflicting somehow. Hopefully there is an update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the Mac update has been withdrawn citing "issues" — good to hear Adobe is at least on this issue — really looking forward to the fix for Mac users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mr. Raghuveer,

after almost one and a half year I now need to use Photoshop for a project once again. And it only took a few minutes to remember why I avoided PS: It is because of the error described in this thread—that is CS6 applications not recognising keystrokes.

My configuration is as follows:

• Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)
  • PS CS6 (13.0.6)
  • Wacom Intuos5 touch (with touch functionality disabled)

I read the posts in this thread and have tested if the suggested solutions make a difference. In particular, I used a wired Apple Mighty Mouse instead of the Apple Magic Mouse and even disconnected all mice—but to no avail. PS very frequently and reproducibly enters a state in which it does not evaluate (that is almost all, see below) keystrokes. Furthermore, no other software is running: No other application, no fancy status bar extensions whatsoever. Tests with other applications (like Pixelmator for instance) did not show this erroneous behaviour (which is not a feature by the way, and regarding touch it is present in the Mac OS X API since Version 10.5.2/10.6, see https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/EventOverview/HandlingTouchEv... ).

Regarding reproducibility, I observed that if you make brush strokes PS often does not seem to recognise that the stroke has ended or rather that it fails to update its states. What I can observe is that it won't apply paint anymore but the cursor's appearance will remain that of your brush regardless where you move it (menus, other document windows in PS). Within this state, PS won't evaluate most of the keystrokes.

A temporary workaround is to hit space bar, which is the only exception of keys not recognised I have found so far, and move the canvas of the document you were paining in. This will stop PS being in state limbo and keystrokes will be evaluated again.

Regarding the painting workflow, which is a sequence of painting (B), erasing (E), zooming (Z) and rotating (R) this becomes cumbersome, though, since you have to press (SPACE) and move the canvas once in order to be able to change the active tool. The previous sequence becomes (B), (SPACE), (MOVE), (E), (SPACE), (MOVE), (Z), (SPACE), (MOVE), (R), (SPACE), (MOVE).

Questions:

• Will PS 13.0.6 still receive bugfixes? I think the correct evaluation of input is the foundation to work with the otherwise superb set of tools in PS.

• Can anyone reproduce the behaviour as I have described in PS CC?

• @Raghuveer @staff: If not, am I stuck then with this bug? It would be quite a disappointment regarding the price of PS.

Regards,

Pierre

P.S.: Edit: Changed "all, see below" to "that is almost all, see below" in order to correct intended message.

P.S.: Edit2: Changed "PS" to "CS6 applications", since the OP had observed the problem with AI, though others reported the same issue for PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same trouble. I tried switching from Magic Mouse to old school mouse, but it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the problem when using shortcuts while my finger on the mouse, no problem when finger in not on the mouse(may be a workaround). You may want to try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@colling_s which mouse are you using?  is it the Apple magic mouse. maybe it starts to listen for keypresses to enable some additional features.

Not sure if it is the same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5221035?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice observation. Every time it stops working for me, I let go of the mouse and it works.

And yes to @ADBEDesigner, it probably is the Magic Mouse. That's what I'm using and this clears up the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a GENIUS! That solved the problem. Well, I suppose "solve" is a little strong. It allows us to work around the problem. Who would have known it was something so simple. Now if only the programmers can correct it. Thanks colling_s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works GREAT so far! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I think I understand the behaviour you are seeing, and the cause of it. Let me explain.

If you notice, on the magic mouse there is no separate scroll button. You actually do a single finger scroll gesture, right there on the magic mouse surface. The gesture starts when you move your finger on the magic mouse surface, and does not end until you take your finger off(No, it does not end when you stop moving the finger, it could just be a temporary pause). Going forward, you could be allowed to do the pinch zoom, rotate and/or swipe gestures too, right there on the magic mouse surface, as with the trackpad.

Now, within AI, while any gesture is going on, be it from any input device, we do not allow processing of keyboard shortcuts. You need to end your gesture(by taking your fingers off the surface) for the app to start processing the keyboard shortcuts. Hence, the behaviour you see.

Now, is this a bug? Clearly not. I understand your frustrations as a user, but I think its just about you getting used to the ever-changing hardware and software paradigms. New and previously unimaginable ways are being accomplished to give the user more and more power and ease of use. The user will have to change along the way, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Akhil. It is helpful knowing the problem is not a "bug", but rather a designed "feature". Though, I suppose it would have saved everyone a bit of time had Adobe promoted this feature rather than have the users discover it and find the work-around.

All is well that ends well, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the thorough explanation, Akhil.

While I can't say I agree with the implementation of this 'feature', or the manner in which it was introduced—ie. not at all—at least I now understand what the cause is.

I have to ask, is this standard practice for Mac applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, thanks. However, I've just tested all the other Adobe apps I use daily and they all work just fine while touching the mouse. Go and try Photoshop, works perfectly well. I'm afraid i just can't see how this is a feature ?

Asking people to change the way they work reminds me of the whole Steve Jobs "You're holding it wrong." fiacso!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, it is an interesting observation on the particular problem.

However, Illustrator CC is the third version of Illustrator I am using on a Mac with a magic mouse (previously CS5 and CS6) and this is the first time I am experiencing this issue. And as someone else mentioned, this does not occur in any other Adobe software that I regularly use (Indesign, Photoshop, Premiere etc.)

Therefore I am still not entirely convinced that it in fact is not a bug. But should your theory prove true, and this is some new "feature", I think Adobe needs to reconsider its implementation and at least allow users to turn it off. Based on the feedback and critisicm on this thread alone, it's obvious that this is messing with peoples workflow and being an annoyance. From an interaction design standpoint this would be a horrible "hidden feature" causing frustration among users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point, Bilal. I couldn't agree more! I also have used a magic mouse with Illustrator CS5-CC and only began experiencing issues with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested Illustrator CC on my MacBook Air and the shortcuts work when my finger is on/connected with the trackpad. Considering this, and the fact the Magic Mouse has no issues with other Adobe apps, I'd say this is conclusively a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I completely understand your frustrations, and would like to assure you that we are evaluating ways to resolve this on priority. Please keep your feedback coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to chime in here and say that having had the same problem and finding the answer here, at least I have a temporary solution. But Adobe really need to address the UI issues across the creative suite apps to ensure consistency throughout the apps.

The same 'feature' does not occur in Photoshop or InDesign. For my feedback, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akhil,

Does this mean a user can no longer scroll zoom while holding the Alt/Option key?

The lack of keyboard functionality while engaging with a mouse severely limits the way I use the application, and seems more like a bug than a 'feature'. I find I now have to take my hand completely off my magic mouse to perform actions like group/ungroup or quick select tools.

I'd be very interested in this feature becoming optional, or removed completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the clarification. If I may, I would very much like to offer a response though.

This "feature" operates consistently, but NOT intuitively. Zipping around your artboard witht the magic mouse is second nature these days. Because of this intentional conflict, simply resting my hand on the mouse with no movement after a simple pan across the artboard prohibits the use of quick keys.

We all understand as designers that we need to acclimate to new processes. You essentially saying your latest choice is something we need to get used to is pretentious-sounding and generally unhelpful in tone.

The bottom line is, this should have been pointed out as a significant change. I've operated with my magic mouse within the last 4 iterations of illustrator with NO issue. This new thought concerning conflicting gestures and quick keys hasn't added anything aside from confusion to my workflow.

That being said, we're all indebted to you guys for creating the very best in vector graphics and illustration software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just takes a while to get used to. A week later and I hardly registered taking my hand of the mouse for a short cut.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius. Thank you for sharing the information about the magic mouse - letting go completely does seem to fix things for the shortcuts. I wasn't aware that I was even holding it but you just get used to doing things in a certain way. You may want to spread the word with Adobe CC telephonists (and Apple Mac) as I've spent the best part of 4 days with both teams trying to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the keyboard shortcut problem on my machine at work, but not on my MacBook Pro at home. Can't even select objects by dragging a marquee on work machine. Work - Snow Leopard, Home - Mountain Lion. Really haven't tried too many things, as I end up swearing a lot and going back to CS6 to get work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently there is a font related component to this problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5451724

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HERE'S HOW I SOLVED THIS.

I've had the same problem, on 2 different Mac desktops and on a Mac laptop, with CS5, with wired mouse and "Magic" mouse. It is infuriating, especially on deadline. I re-launched Illustrator, and re-booted the computer, to no avail. The command keys stopped working today when I opened a file created in a previous version of Illustrator. So I suspected that it had something to do with the file. Today, I had copied and pasted text from the older file into my new one, and then the command keys stopped working. I  don't know if that's a helpful clue, but I've noticed this before.

Following the suggestions on this and other forums . . .

1) thinking it had to do with Preferences, I pressed Command-K. Then chose "OK"

2) I changed the font on the old text I had imported to something plain vanilla (Myriad).

Now the Option, Command, Spacebar, et cetera all work as they should. Without closing my file or the application.

Hmmmm . . . Unfortunately, I don't know which one worked. Let you know next time . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happenening.

Editting/selecting text seems to aggravate the issue. Switching between apps (Cmmand + Tab) and switching back (so long as you don't have text selected) temporarily retunrs keyboard shortcuts, but then they cut out again soon as you select text.

This is an extremely infuriating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines