• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Knife tool does not work

Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason the knife tool will not work when I create a shape, no matter how I create it, I can create an ellipse or a rectangle and it still won't cut.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

I have no issues using the knife on Windows, AI 26.4:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Same on Mac OS (I even cut myself). Maybe time to restart machine, reset Preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

If anyone finds this and is having the issue, after I drew my line, I had to double click to make the cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the object selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works fine.

Be carefull and select object you want to cut, start end finish using knife outside the selected object

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The knife tool won't cut open, unfilled shapes. Only open FILLED shapes or closed shapes (filled or unfilled).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still true that the knife tool does not work on open paths in illustrator?

Finding it hard to believe myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

• If no objects are selected, the knife tool will cut across all shapes
  • If any objects are selected, it appears that the knife tool is cutting, but it will only cut the selected objects

If it isn't working, the first step is to confirm that nothing is selected or select the object you wish to cut.

What do you see when you try to cut and it fails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first post to the community so - Hi!

I'm using illustrator 2020

I'm having the same issue with my knife tool not cutting. I have a shape that was created from a font. I converted the font into outlines, and then changed it into a compound path. I filled this shape with gray. With that new shape selected I grab my knife tool. Holding down alt/option to drag a straight line, and starting off the image, I drag a line but no slicing is happening. I did it with my mouse and with my wacom tablet - same result - no slicing.

Anyone have any ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I created a new shape, a basic ellipse, and the knife worked just the way it's supposed to. The only thing I can imagine is the original shape I was trying to cut up had an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone that finds this in a Google search - I solved the problem. 

I was selecting the knife tool, pressing alt for a straight line, making my two cut marks to take out a segement (in my case of a circle), but when I tried to drag the one piece away - I could only move the whole shape, even though I could see the cut marks. 

By trial and error I found the solution - select the object, then select the knife tool. Make your cut marks. Then press select again (V). Then double click on the section you want to separate (so it opens the isolated mode with everything else greyed out). Then drag your section away from the whole image and they'll separate. You can then press escape to go back to normal view and you have two objects. 

Hope this helps 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"By trial and error I found the solution - select the object, then select the knife tool. Make your cut marks. Then press select again (V). Then double click on the section you want to separate (so it opens the isolated mode with everything else greyed out). Then drag your section away from the whole image and they'll separate. You can then press escape to go back to normal view and you have two objects. "

If you need to enter isolation mode then you need to check the object in the layers panel. Is it really just a simple path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika. No, not in my case. Which is why I posted this solution. To help anyone who can't get their shape to cut out following the usual route. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!  谢谢!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was exactly what I needed! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally something worked for me. For reference I had made a shape that was two ellipses overlapping each other and grouped them. No idea if that's relevant. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to happen when the object is contained within a clipping mask. I've seen it happen when I have sub-layers and the main containing layer has a clipping mask, which clips everything in the sub-layers too. So try this: create a new layer that is not nested in any other layer. Move your object there. Try the knife tool now. If it works, you'll know it's the clipping mask that's intefering somehow.

Isolation mode also works because somehow it negates the clipping mask bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me to enable the slice tool in illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slice tool is not related to the knife tool. If you can't access it in the Advanced toolbar (Window > Toolbars > Advanced) or by pressing Shift + K, I suggest you make a separate topic and give as many details as you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case someone else finds this thread with the same issue I was having:

The knife tool does not seem to work on lines, only shapes. I wanted to cut out a segment of a line I had drawn, and it wouldn't work. Tested it with a square, and Bob's your uncle. 

If you want to cut a segment out of a line, you'll need to draw your line using the square tool.

Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating. Seeing exact issue as described.

1. draw ellipse.

2. select ellipse

3. select knife tool

4. draw line across ellipse with knife (line appears 20 pixels below where the cursor is for some reason = even with snaps turned off?)

5. reselect object and nothing has happened.

6. ends up with the original ellipse - unchanged

7. frustrating

>> An alternative that works all of the time for me is creating a cutting edge over the object you want to cut or trim, (using a line or another object)  - select object to be altered and the cutting edge then use pathfinder's "Divide" mode. Then select and delete the portion(s) you want removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quck note to above -- The divided objects after applying "pathfinder" > "divide", will be grouped - so simply "ungroup" and each object will be separate, so unwanted objects can be selected and deleted. Hope this is helpful for someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no issues using the knife on Windows, AI 26.4:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice screen grab 😉 Would be great if it worked on open paths too though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same on Mac OS (I even cut myself). Maybe time to restart machine, reset Preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

1 Draw or select a shape to be cut

2. Make sure the shape is selected

3. Select the knife tool (make sure it is not the similar looking eyedropper tool)

4. Draw your cutting path from one edge to the other across the shape (make sure the cutting path intersects both edges of the shape.)

5. Select the shape you just cut using the selection tool (all cut sections of the shape will be highlight as full shape) 

6. Select a blank area of your artboard

7. Select your shape again and it will act as individual cut parts. (Use UNGROUP command if the shape still acts as a single object.)

This method works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone finds this and is having the issue, after I drew my line, I had to double click to make the cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines