Highlighted

Large file won't place as link in Illustrator – "Try Replacing this with another valid link"

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to place a linked file onto my Illustrator artboard and everytime that I try to place it I get the following pop up after it tries to place. I've dragged the file from my desktop onto the page and it allows me to embed the file, but when I try to "unembed" and link the file, I get the same message that "illustrator cannot read the file. Try to replacing this with another valid link"

I have resaved the file as a different color format in PSD to see if that would help, it didn't. I also tried restarting. Uninstalling illustrator and reinstalling it. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Topics

Bug, How to, Import and export, Print and publish, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Large file won't place as link in Illustrator – "Try Replacing this with another valid link"

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to place a linked file onto my Illustrator artboard and everytime that I try to place it I get the following pop up after it tries to place. I've dragged the file from my desktop onto the page and it allows me to embed the file, but when I try to "unembed" and link the file, I get the same message that "illustrator cannot read the file. Try to replacing this with another valid link"

I have resaved the file as a different color format in PSD to see if that would help, it didn't. I also tried restarting. Uninstalling illustrator and reinstalling it. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Topics

Bug, How to, Import and export, Print and publish, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what are the actual specs of the file? Just from the info in the warning message it seems to me that you are simply breaking all limits in terms of dimensions. If that's indeed the case, this will never work and you have to slice up the image into separate segments.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
SiDobe11 LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same error message and issue. Is there a file size limitation for placing images in Illustrator? Weird thing is I can save this image with LZW compression and it brings it down to 115mb, so it isn't absurdly large. It is large, but very confusing why it won't place. The physical size of the image 44" x 57" so certainly within the limitations of Illustrator's workspace. Any thoughts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines