• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Visibility - Turn off undo/redo?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to stop layer visibility from being recorded as a history state like you can in Photoshop? I like to toggle my layers on and off a lot to compare differences. I don't like that it becomes a part of the undo/redo sequence. It's much quicker to use a single click on the visibility button than hitting Ctrl+Z or Ctrl+Shift+Z. Plus it's gentler on my hands. I sometimes have bad days with stiffness so multiple keystrokes in a row becomes painful.

Here's an example of what I mean. Say I duplicated a layer and made few changes because I wanted to test out an idea. I might want to toggle the visibility of the new layer on and off to compare it with the original. Now say there were a couple changes I wanted to undo. Well now after all my toggling I have to hit undo a lot. On top of that, since Illustrator doesn't have a history panel I can't just quickly jump back either.

If this isn't an option currently I would like to request it become one. It would really streamline things. In my opinion, the fact that Photoshop has this options means that others find this type of setting beneficial. 

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to add to this request for a history panel as many others have: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/38837470-gi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, toggling layer visibility should not count as something to undo or redo. Or at least be able to turn it off in preferences as many other programs allow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you just check out the new history panel? https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/recovery-undo-automation.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a couple of ways that you may consider as promising:

- Custom Views (see View menu).

- Using multiple windows of the same file (see Window menu > New Window).

- Layer Visibility variables (see Variables palette).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines