• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layers in layer palette are disappearing making this unusable

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with over 100 layers in it ...which is pretty normal for what we do and Illustrator in CS6 has a big issue with the layer palette .....as you scroll down the palette the layer names disappear ...as you run the mouse over the layers they re-appear and then disappear again ...this issue makes the software useless as I can't see the layers  .....this happens on all the documents I've been working on ....anybody getting the same thing and anybody go any ideas of how to fix this or is it Adobe's issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

colling_s wrote:

Look like you have corrupted fonts.Validate fonts "Tahoma" on Win and "LucidaGrande" on Mac.

LucidaGrande isn't on my system (Mac). I even went back to my install disk and reinstalled the fonts and that wasn't one of them.

I agree that it is probably a font issue, because when you make a layer a template, the layer name in the palette switches to italic and that's what's not showing up (although it also makes the thumbnails and tool icons in the palette disappear).

Anyone know what font that is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crisper_68 wrote:

LucidaGrande isn't on my system (Mac). I even went back to my install disk and reinstalled the fonts and that wasn't one of them.

That may be your issue entirely.

Lucida Grande is the primary font the Mac OS uses to draw windows. All Mac OSX versions require that font.

System/Library/Fonts... if it's not there, you've got issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected... Lucida Grande is in my system fonts. Not sure why I didn't find it when I searched for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2012 Aug 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue. Re-installed Illustrator. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dodololo wrote:

Had the same issue. Re-installed Illustrator. Problem solved.

Just tried re-installing. Didn't solve the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstalled, did you select the option to remove the prefs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier wrote:

When you uninstalled, did you select the option to remove the prefs?

Yes, I did remove the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we already know the problem is someplace in your user profile, I'd be tempted to uninstall again and delete the user folders associated with Illustrator, or run the clean tool, before reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucida Grande is required font. You may try scipting to access all the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the first layer with a missing name double click on the thumbnail. In the layer options make sure "print" is checked. This should make all the layers visable again.

Still having other issues with illustrator after seeing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

culverbd wrote:

On the first layer with a missing name double click on the thumbnail. In the layer options make sure "print" is checked. This should make all the layers visable again.

Well, yes, because by doing that, you are turning off the template layer. That doesn't stop them from disappearing when you make a template layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2012 Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This resolved the missing Option Layer Names for me on Mac 10.6.8 with Illustrator CS 6. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to question/statement:

33. Crisper_68,

Aug 1, 2012 9:35 AM    in reply to culverbd 

culverbd wrote:

This was EXACTLY what fixed the problem on mine. The top layer was turned off and non-printing.

I turned the layer back to visible, checked the previously un-checked PRINT box back to printable, and reset the layer back to non-visible. Problem solved. All layer names now visible. Come on, Adobe... issue an update and fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sadly this solution was presented last year. . . . .

28.maddog4u,

Sep 12, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

CS6 Illustrator layers interface (labels and icons) - appear / disappear

1. Open layer panel

2. Double click layer icon above the affected layer(s) object(s) that do not show in the layers panel

3. Enable print

Layer interface data re-appears.  This influence cascades to any layers & objects below toggled layer print/noprint

Further testing for the tech boys

1. Creat New Document
  2. Create Box inside artboard
  3. Create layer 2 - make box inside artboard. 
  4. Dble click 2 disble print.  only that layer is affected
  5. Enable print on layer 2
  6. Create a rectangle on layer 2 that spans the artboard and beyond the art board
  7. Disable print on layer 2  - all layers below go blank
  8. Enable print on layer 2 - layers below reappear
  9. Delete the spanning box
  10. Disable print layer 2 - layers all disappear. its like it remembers the object outside the artboard and continues with the bug

anyway I have other things to do today ... so fix it Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the suggestions are bogus and don't resolve the problem. I found the

solution for my problem by making sure the native fonts were active and they

were not. Once I activated the system fonts that were deactivated, the

problem was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Office 2011 is the cause of problem as soon as you install, it will make Ai to act, it is replacing Verdana to MS 5.02 version of font and kills the itlic Verdana which AI is looking for. Here is what I did to fix the issue and it worked. Remove Verdana fonts from Hard Drive > Library > Fonts folder. From the Finder select Finder > Secure Empty Trash. Use Apple's Font Book to look at "All Fonts" and search for Verdana, then right-mouse click on "Verdana" and select "Enable 'Verdana' Family." Quit Font Book. Note : if you have a third party fonts management software like Suitcase please make sure it is activated permanently. Verdana is in apple system font . Good luck .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's true. That was my fix.

Sent from my very own phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This baffled me. I was so frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir, have solved my palette problem with the only fix on this page that works. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue. Power Mac 2.8 Quad Core running 10.6.8.

It is template layers and below, possibly because of the italic font used? Does anyone know which font should be installed to display the italic layer name properly?

thanks,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Layers disappear when one layer is set to 'template' [or nonprinting, which is a necessary function of 'template']. On the suggestion of a poster in a different forum threat, I re-installed the Verdana family of fonts (regular, italic, bold italic, bold…all in a TrueType TTF format) in the fonts directory of my library (system / library / fonts). Restarted the computer. Problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this problem in Illustrator 6 numerous times.
I'm sure that this is a bug but the problem only manifests itself when I open a file that has a layer that has been optioned to not print.

Though I cannot see the layer name or icon, I can select a layer then open the layers options palate. Select -- Options for "xxxxxx".

If the print option is unchecked, check it, hit OK, then all icons and names reappear. This also occurs when I opt for no print on a layer.

This has held to be true in every instance. Don't know why. Good luck.

Before

After

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install the fonts Verdana and Tahoma. All faces.

Should also be mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too. I'm working on a Mac, OS 10.9.4, Adobe Illustrator CS6 16.0.1.

The fix to this bug: I had to select the layer options and turn on the  "Print" option.

When I turn off the print option, the bug comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Post #70

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines