• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy format? huh?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, when I save a file in AI I get a dialog box that says "Saving to a Legacy format may cause some changes to your text layout and disable some editing features when the document is read back in.  Do you want to continue?".

This is confusing because I am not saving in any Legacy formats.  Or at least I don't think I am.  I never manually choose "Legacy" when saving any files.  So does this mean that my preferences are set up to save in Legacy every time?  If not, why am I receiving this dialog box?

Can anyone help?  I want to only save in the newest file version of Illy. 

Thank you for any help and for your time!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You opened an older file?

When you then just hit "Save", Illustrator will save to the old version.

Always use "Save as" with older files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is an older file.  It's a file created from 2011.  I am a screen printer and use this template as a "new project" template when preparing art for color separations.  So that must be what is going on.  As stated in an answer to Bill, I saved via "save as" and replaced the old file.  I will see if that remedied the issue.  If not I will be back.  lol

Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is happening to you with files created in the most recent versions of Illustrator then there is a problem. Please let us know what version of Illustrator and what operating system that you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator version CC and using Mac Mojave version 10.14.6.  And I think you and the person before answered my question.  The file I am using is a template file I created in 2011.  So that must be where this is coming from.  I am going to "save as" and replace the old file, to make a "new" one, and see if that eliminates the dialog box moving forward.

Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CC on a current Mac. The file I'm trying to package is in Adobe Illustrator's beginner Sharing tutorial athttps://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/sharing-basics.html. I searched and found this info, so I got it to work. The tutorial should probably be updated to use a current file format or to warn about the problem....

I don't need a reply. I just wanted to notify someone about the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I an using 25.2 and microsoft edge and still having same issue. The project i created was in illustrator 25.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the file? Or is it an older file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening to me too with latest updates of Creative Cloud. I am opening new AI file, add graphics, then add to CC Libraries, and I get the same message:

"Saving to a Legacy format may cause some changes to your text layout and disable some editing features when the document is read back in.  Do you want to continue?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines