• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy format

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 25.2 version of Illustrator and microsoft edge.  For school I created a project and when I try to save it  says  saving to a legacy format may cause some changes to your text layout and disable some editing features.  I am getting frustrated. I have to use this project in adobe after effect but its messing that up.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the document start at your school?

In that case your school probably uses an older Illustrator version.

If you want to continue working on that Illustrator file at school, leave it as it is when saving, you are saving it in the older version (legacy) format from your school.

If you want to use it in the latest version of Illustrator and After Effects, do a save as version Illustrator 2020. This cannot be opened by Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the document in the 25.2 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you saving it? Which options?

What's in the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first i export the file per instructor. after I do that He saysd to go back in and click save and when I do that I get the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And then you save it with exactly which options?

If you don't select the highest version, then  this warning is to be expected. It probably doesn't do any harm whatsoever, but can you please answer our questions so we can be sure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He tells me after I exported the projected the file then  go back to file and click save to save the ai file.  When I click like he says then  it gives me error. I looked and says Illustrator is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "I exported the projected the file" save? export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to export the file so I can use it in  adobe after effect. After I export it then I am supposed to   click save  and thats when I get the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-02-12 (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally just did the project again that is the screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a Save As

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fed  I am just going to take a zero. I have this issue for two days and no one  knows what is wrong. I really appreciate you trying to help. Have good weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects can use Illustrator files, no need to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The warning box you describe is a default message that pops up whenever saving an Illustrator file in an older version of Illustrator. It also happens by default when you open an older version Illustrator file in Illustrator 25.2 and then hit the Save button. Illustrator will, by default, respect that older file version rather than automatically save in the latest version. Most rival graphics applications will automatically save in the latest file version automatically when the "save" button or command is clicked. To get more control over the process click "Save As."

That default warning box is nothing to be worried about it UNLESS you are using features in that layout that are unique to newer versions of Illustrator and are saving down to a version of Illustrator in which those features are not supported. The new repeats function is one example. OpenType Variable Font support goes back only so many versions. The same goes for free-form gradients. The list goes on and on. If you are only using the latest versions of Illustrator in conjunction with After Effects there shouldn't be any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines