• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Limiting colors in image trace

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I use image trace quite frequently to help set up screen print jobs. Most of the time I use it when someone sends a high res raster file of their logo or some other simple illustration. In the past, I always picked out the colors I needed, made swatches in a separate group, and used that group from the document library to limit the colors used when tracing. I could select just 3 colors and the image trace would produce a vector image using only 3 colors. It seems like for a while now though, anytime I try to do this it uses many shades of those colors. For example, I just tried to use only 3 swatches (black, white, and maroon), but the traced image said it used 29 colors (white, black, maroon, and shade of gray and maroon). Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this? Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Use "Recolor Artwork" command

edit -> edit colors -> recolor artwork 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "Recolor Artwork" command

edit -> edit colors -> recolor artwork 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That worked out perfectly. I'm a little disappointed there's an extra step now, but oh well. Not a big deal. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still works for me in the latest Mac OS version of Illustrator (using a library palette with a certain number of swatches).

Which version of Illustrator are you using? What operating system?

Can you share a sample .ai file as well as the swatch library you are trying to apply when tracing the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me forever to get back to this. If you are still willing to take a look, here is a link to a file with the image I am trying to use.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t3f6nlhLSFhz7uNizccnMxZzuCxAOFYe/view?usp=sharing 

This was for a screen print job. I recieved a raster image from the client and wanted to try to trace it to get a clean version to use for separations. Please ignore the headless people in the middle of the cross. That was a mistake on the client's part, lol. At the top is the original image and at the bottom is my tracing attempt that hasn't been expanded yet. I used the same options I have used for years (Mode: Color, Palette: Document Library, Colors: the swatch group I want to use), but while my swatch group has 3 colors, the result says it is using 25. It doesn't seem to matter if my colors are spot colors or process colors, or if they are in a group or not. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the tracing options, you can set the Palette that you want to use, so if you have defined a color palette or want to use a pre-defined palette, it should be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share the Google Drive download link as a public link?

Otherwise I or other participants cannot easily download your sample file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines