Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line through text

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How do i make a line go through my text? I want the yellow line to go through my text without overlapping.

Here is how it looks:

sl.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Ah, OK!

So you want to make a clipping mask.

If the text is already outlined, make sure it's a compound path. Then put on top of the line, select both and Object > Clipping mask > Make.

Then select the path of the mask with the direct selection tool and apply the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "Without overlapping"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overlapping like the crossed with a red X for example in letter O. I only want the line through text not over it, sorry if i used a wrong term. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I don't get it. Please draw a sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this but without having to do it manually bcs i made this by cropping the line and having to make a line for each letter

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK!

So you want to make a clipping mask.

If the text is already outlined, make sure it's a compound path. Then put on top of the line, select both and Object > Clipping mask > Make.

Then select the path of the mask with the direct selection tool and apply the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, THAT WORKED.

Kurt also replied that but it didnt work since i didnt know i had to turn my outlined text into a compound path first. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the line behind the text. Select the line and choose Object > Arrange > Send to Back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just replied to another comment by how i want it too look like, hope u can help now, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand the request, the desired result is a line across the entire word that should not appear on (or behind) the counters and between the single characters.

If that assumption is true, I'd recommend to draw a line below the type object, align as desired, select both and then make a clipping mask. After that you may have to direct select the type object again and give it a stroke or fill attribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt really work out well i tried it, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines