Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of Fonts/Colors used in illustrator document

Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Is it possible to get the list of all the fonts and colors used in the active illustrator document (.ai file) ?

if yes then how?

thanx in advance...

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly doable, but you'd have to iterate the document and build up the list yourself. Font would be pretty easy, because that's only text objects. Colour is a little trickier, just because colour can hide in so many places, but you can get a pretty good result fairly easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colors is actually easy too. In the AIPathStyleSuite, check the function AdjustObjectAIColors. There's some stuff in the docs that give the general idea of how you'd catalogue all the colors used in a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about AdjustObjectAIColors, and its a good way to get a bunch of them but I'm not 100% sure if it covers all colours or just those found in paths. If not, this would exclude colours on effects & overlays for symbols, found in kPluginArt (though there is a similar function for plugin art specifically) and I imagine text. Probably a few other types if we look hard enough. Granted, paths are probably 90% of colours 🙂 I also wondered (sinc I haven't tried it before) how comprehensive that method is -- does it hit all the colours in various effects & styles layered on path? Or does it just hit the standard stroke & fill? I assume not, but I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... it definitely goes into pattern fills/strokes as I've had to do that. As for the others, my guess is probably, but it'd have to be tested. It seems that this is the intended method for doing this based on what's in the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually go to Print, then click on 'output' and it lists all the colours used in there. I'm not 100% sure on how foolproof it is, so I do go through the document nit-picking just in case..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to > Type > find font - (inside it) check all include in list - and click the "save list" button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a french localization so if you want to see all colors used in the document it's under Fenêtre/Nuancier (Windows/??? it is usually under Navigation). There you have all the colors used in the document and there you can change Swap colors to CMYK and invers… Hope this is what you were looking for… Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all objects -----> swatches panel ------> drop down icon in top right corner ----------->  add selected colours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can:

1. Open swatches panel , then from"fly menu" select "Unused colors" and then delete them. Than you will have only used colors in your swatch panel..  You can save that color group.

2. You can delete all swatches and then add your document colors to swatches from artboard or from selected object.

3. For font you can go to Fill-package. Package your file - will include all your fonts and will generate also report file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my gosh thanks for this totally worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your use case, this might also be practical:

"Save a copy..." to SVG,  using

mhvandervelde_0-1624520801535.png

...and open the SVG in a text editor. All colors will be represented in the top of the file as CSS properties.

mhvandervelde_1-1624520876363.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In additon to this, you can (using the Mac command line), get a list of unique colors in the SVG document:

grep -o \#...... colors.svg | sort | uniq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines