• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

live mirror while drawing object?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to design some things that will be fairly complex and also completely symmetrical.. am just wondering if there's anyway to have Illustrator automatically mirror something as i draw it, or some similar solution so that I can see how the object is coming along big picture-like.  I know this is possible in 3d programs I've used like 3DS max, but not sure about Illustrator. Or is there another CAD type program that'll do it that I could then import into illustrator?  Or should I just tape a mirror to my monitor?  I just know that if I do one side by itself I'm going to waste so much time mirroring it to see how it's coming along...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t have a live reflection as you are drawing or editing the object’s path. You can apply Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform and have a near-live reflection to any object. As you edit, you don’t see the reflection, but when you release the mouse button, say after a rotation or after changing a curve, the reflection will update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you may draw one half of the objects and use Reflect tool (O) and reflect the other symmetrical half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible like Autocad

Follow this tutorial:

http://blog.choppingblock.com/2009/03/illustrator-cs3-cs4-reflection-templates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a video tutorial that describes exactly how to do this and put up on Youtube for some friends, then someone pointed me here!  I think it's basically the same approach as the Chopping Block tutorial,  the main difference is that I like to make my bounding box bigger than the page.  If you draw outside of the bounding box the system breaks, so making it larger than the page gives you a little room on the edges.  I made the video before I saw the chopping block page, but this is a technique that I think people should know about.

Make sure you watch in HD.

http://youtu.be/KfXsIneeIHk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue to "cus-copy-paste;" I want to create a complex design, and would rather apply a mirroring effect. I ended up following the instructions in the video posted. It seemed to be working fine at first. But my only problem now is that whatever I draw in one side doesn't show once I unselect them, while the other side is being reflected completely fine. I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing wrong, but I want both sides to show, just like it does on the video. Can anyone help?

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a quick go , it has a mind of it's own sometimes..

just a guess  but looks like yours has reset  copies to zero somehow in the transform effects panel

If it happens again :

Click on the layers target , so the transform link shows in the appearance panel and there

open the  link Tansform   and in the window that opens 

make sure these are selected :

transform objects

reflect X

copies 1

OK

maybe best to    Select > Deselect

and try drawing again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this day and age, is this feature active in Illustrator or do you still have to fork over for a plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature has been available in AI for years. What, exactly, are unable to figure out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Target the current layer and assign a "Transform - Reflect" effect (see attached). Then just draw on the layer.Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 2.05.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ccp,

And then there is the version independent old fashioned solution to prove that Illy could do it even in her youth:

1) Create a larger symmetric no fil no stroke path object such as a circle placed with its centre at the desired centre;

2) Cut it at top and bottom and keep the part that is on the same side as the actual drawing, this is the enclosing half path;

3) Group the half drawing and the enclosing half path;

4) With the Group selected, Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform, with a move equalling the width of the enclosing half path, set Copies to 1, and tick Reflect X.

After that, the drawing should be mirrored live as you continue. You may Object>Expand Appearance when you are done and get rid of the enclosing half path, but always keep a copy of the live artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chopping block template worked great for me. Taking the object out of the layer still requires doing a grouped object tranform, or using the reflection tool.

Illustrator, this needs to be a feature. It's 2013 for chrissakes. Don't make me do grunt work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an amazing plug-in from Astute Graphics called MirrorMe that just came out that does exactly what you are trying to do. You might want to look into it.  It works great.

http://www.astutegraphics.com/products/mirrorme/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mind = blown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 7th January 2021, Adobe added a new feature called Repeat which can be found under Object> Repeat. This will allow you to edit artwork using the symmetry of live instances in a radial, grid or mirrored arrangement. First added to the initial release of illustrator on the iPad, it has now quietly made its way onto the desktop version.

I've created a video rundown of this new feature:

https://youtu.be/dV9wqMnIRmg

Along with a blog post on each of the three repeats:

On 7th January 2021, Adobe added a new feature called Repeat which can be found under Object> Repeat. This will allow you to edit artwork using the symmetry of live instances in a radial, grid or mirrored arrangement. First added to the initial release of illustrator on the iPad, it has now quietly made its way onto the desktop version.

I've created a video rundown of this new feature on the following link:

https://www.creativefrontiers.co.uk/article/illustrator-repeat-artwork

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
I love the 2021 Live Mirror feature. But is there a way to release the live mirror so the drawing becomes normal strokes?

When I click Release only half the image remains. When I click Expand the strokes expand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please tell us what exactly is in your object.

When expanding it, which options are checked in the Expend dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines